𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟐𝟒

𝕋𝕙𝕖 𝕋𝕚𝕞𝕖 𝕋𝕚𝕔𝕜𝕚𝕟𝕘 ℂ𝕣𝕒𝕟𝕜 𝔹𝕠𝕞𝕓𝕤

✃✃✃✃✃✃✃✃✃

There was nothing but grey metallic walls around him. They enclosed him in a square; only leaving space for a small table in front of him where a gun lay untouched. He turned around many times, but there were no signs of a way out, nor instructions to carry out.

With a horrible screech, a metallic wall opened, revealing the other side of it. Newt stood there, just as confused as he was; no table or weapon near him, just the emptiness of the room. Fear overtook them simultaneously, causing them to walk over to the other in an attempt to defend themselves from whatever could appear.

"Newt, is it really you?" he asked, grabbing the gun on his way to the boy.

Newt didn't reply, nor did he have the time to do so as a voice filled the room from hidden speakers. "Test MCME12 will now begin."

Both stayed still, waiting for something to attack them, but nothing did. With another person's voice and the same uninterested tone, a man gave the command. "Soldier S5, shoot Subject A5."

His hands raised the gun, but he forced his finger to stay out of the trigger. The orders didn't cease, much less his fight against his own body. "Newt, please, knock me out. Take the gun and stay away from me. Don't let me kill you."

Newt didn't reply, he just stayed put, watching him with fear. That expression destroyed his heart, making tears bottle up in his eyes. He would never have imagined that Newt would ever look at him in that way. It was torture, like the years of missions and killing were nothing compared to that single moment.

"Soldier S5, shoot Subject A5," repeated the voice.

"I won't," he said, keeping his trembling, though strong, grip on the gun to raise it. With all the energy he had left, he pressed the gun against his temple and closed his eyes, not having enough courage to face Newt as he prepared himself to pull the trigger. "I'll rather kill myself."

Another horrible screech made his eyes snap open. To his sides, metallic walls slid up until they reached the ceiling. One after another, the room became larger, and the number of people increased. Some were on their knees, crying their eyes out while hugging themselves — a gun next to them — others stood with empty eyes and streaming tears, lost in a dangerous daze they couldn't quite snap themselves out of.

To his right, there was Leen, who was crying with her head buried in her hands; what looked like Minho's body lying motionless in front of her. Nevertheless, to his left, things became stranger. There was Mae, with Harriet's body in front of her, and Bea, who was searching desperately for someone.

"Oh, thank God," mumbled Bea, running up to Leen to wrap her arms around the shorter girl. "You're alive. I didn't—Oh, thank goodness."

Not a word spoken, Mae took her eyes off the body to look at William, his hand still pressing the gun against his temple. She sprinted to him, yanking the weapon out of his grip before he could do anything. Somehow, despite the loud cries echoing in the walls, Mae's desperate yell was the loudest.

"Don't you dare!" She grabbed the collar of his grey suit. "Don't ever try to do something like that again! You hear me, Five? Never!"

"I—"

"Let go of me! I killed him! I killed my brother..." Flor cried, interrupting William's unsure reply as she struggled to get Henry to let go of her.