𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟏𝟓

𝕋𝕙𝕖 𝔼𝕤𝕔𝕒𝕡𝕖

✃✃✃✃✃✃✃✃✃

Half of the group was out of breath, and the other half was struggling to follow Minho and Leen to the next floor. Just as they reunited with those they had lost on the floor below, Leen threw herself at Bea, who gave her a quick hug before grabbing her hand and resuming the running.

William didn't know where they were going anymore. He doubted anyone did. What they were doing at the moment wasn't escaping, it was just evading the Cranks. A quick way to get themselves trapped in a corner.

"Where the hell are we going?" asked a boy from Group A.

"Thomas!" Chuck tried to call the boy's attention, but it was to no avail.

Purposely falling behind, William ran beside Mae, eyeing the Cranks that were after them. She did the same. Perhaps, if they distracted the Cranks, the others would have a fair chance at getting out.

"We gotta find a way out of here!" Frypan shouted as he ran beside Minho in the lead.

"Go!" Shouted Thomas, who was right in front of Newt, whose leg wasn't making running any easier.

It all happened in a second. Right before Mae's and William's eyes, a Crank jumped through a glass on their right, and onto Newt, pinning the boy to the ground. Mae couldn't stop in time, but William did.

His heart sank, and his mind clouded with worries as he saw Newt trying to fight the Crank. It was futile; the creature was stronger than he was. William's mouth fell agape, his eyes watering, as if his entire body had given up on ever saving Newt.

"Guys, help!" Newt shouted, snapping William out of the fear that had taken over him.

"Newt!" William rushed to the boy, his hand gripping his knife.

Not having enough time to plan, William stabbed the Crank, which roared in pain. Its eyes were off Newt for half a second. Just enough time to grab William's neck and shove him against the glass where it had come from.

The damage to his back was bad, but his neck and arms were the most severe. His vision was blurry, and the pain wasn't any easier to deal with. His neck and arms felt unusually warm. To the point, he could feel something running down his neck to his back. He didn't check, but there wasn't much other option. It had to be blood.

"William!"

"Liam!"

Aris kneeled down next to him, the blurry figure focusing as the white dots disappeared from William's sight. "I'll take the glass off. Give me a second."

"Don't move!" Mae ordered, crouching down on the opposite side to take care of his arm injuries, while Aris took the pieces of glass off his neck and jacket.

William tried to shake them off, pointing at Newt while mumbling the boy's name. He didn't want help when the boy was still being attacked. Or so he thought, since his sight didn't let him see past Mae's face too well. Thankfully, Thomas had also reacted in time and was helping Newt get up after pushing the wounded Crank off with his foot, which made it break the glass under a handrail and fall to the bottom floor.

"Newt, you good?" Thomas questioned.

"Yeah. Thanks, Tommy," Newt answered, though when he saw William, his fear shifted to worry. "Liam!"

Minho, at the realisation of why Newt was so worried, went to help William up, but was beaten to it by Aris and Mae. Overall, William stubbornly wanted to believe he was fine. His blurry vision was stabilising, and he still could walk and run. The only problem he acknowledged, though forced himself to ignore, for the time being, was the stinging pain coming from the injured areas.