𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟐𝟑

𝕋𝕙𝕖 ℝ𝕚𝕘𝕙𝕥 𝔸𝕣𝕞

✃✃✃✃✃✃✃✃✃

"We were in the maze together," said Aris.

The explanation didn't seem to convince many, since most continued to frown out of confusion, or lowered their hands slowly. They trusted Aris, but not the girls. Even if they had slung the rifles over their shoulders, they were a probable threat.

"Still doesn't explain much," Rowan muttered, just as Leen elbowed her to make her shut up.

Sonya diverted her eyes towards the two girls, locking eyes with William on the way. If the others had found Aris's reunion with the two girls strange, watching William and Sonya stare at each other for what seemed an eternity was puzzling.

"Li!" Young Sonya's voice echoed inside William's mind. "That's not fair! Give it back! Give it or I'll tell my brother!"

"You want to know what's actually not fair? That you won't let me know what he said in the letter," his younger self pouted. "I just want to know what he wrote about."

"That's because it's not for you." A playful tone overthrew her previous indignation. "But it is about you."

Without saying a word to him, Sonya turned to Aris, one of her brightest smiles playing across her face; something that William had unknowingly missed greatly. "You found him."

"Yeah," said Aris. "Thanks to you."

Of course, she can't remember me. William thought, his eyes trailing back to the ground under his feet as if it were the most interesting thing he had ever seen. Lizzy only knows me because of the photo. She doesn't know who I am, nor does Newt ... Well, at least I'll keep part of my promise. They'll be together. I'll make sure they know they're family before we leave.

A hand took his, bringing William closer to the person. It was no surprise when he looked up; meeting Newt's worried eyes, which kept travelling back and forth between the girls and their friends. It was clear that he didn't trust the girls.

What would you do if I told you that the girl that just pointed a rifle at you is your sister? William wondered.

Harriet brought two fingers to her mouth and whistled at the mountains. "We're clear, guys! Come on out!"

A voice repeated her orders, though much fainter. "Copy that! We're clear! Stand down."

Newt gave Minho and William a doubtful glance as the people who had before shot them appeared around the mountains. Without much denying or discussion, they followed Sonya and Harriet through the tunnel, where, on the other side, a truck was blocking the path.

"Back it up, Joe!" Sonya commanded.

The truck got out of the way, and they walked past it to the other side of the mountain, where all kinds of people walked around with some kind of shotgun. Not minding the stares, Harriet and Sonya guided the large group towards three trucks.

"We're taking them to base," Harriet explained briefly.

"Wait, so, how did you guys get here?" Aris asked, following close behind, almost between the two girls.

"The Right Arm got us out," Harriet said in the same brief manner.

"Wait." Thomas walked faster, taking Chuck along with him. "The Right Arm? Do you know where they are?"

Harriet smiled and opened the door of the truck behind her, giving him a little motion towards it as she said. "Hop in."

They were divided into three different trucks. At least there was an improvement, since no one had to sit out in the open, but they were also more separated. William sat at the back of the truck, where there were no seats, watching Mae and George rush in to join him, followed by Chuck, Aris, and Rowan. The four from Group S were surprised at that, and, most importantly, the lack of Thomas, Newt, or Frypan following them. They rarely took their eyes off of Chuck, which meant that letting them be alone with them was an enormous sign of their trust.