Chapter 3

"Let me pick your brain, get to know your heart, I ain't gon' break it
Let me meet a few of your friends so they could say what you ain't saying
Say what you want and I'm making it happen, you know that it's nothing (Know that it's nothing)
You hug me tight, that *ss poking, you know I'ma cuff it (Know I'ma grab it)."
Tee Grizzley ft. Big Sean "What We On"

Nicole

"Bye Daddy!" I shifted my attention from my shaking hands to the little girl in the corner of the room. A woman held her in her arms as she waved at her father.

"I'm going to miss you. I love you baby girl."

"I love you too." I watched as the officers took him back into custody. The little girl smiled as she laid her head against the woman and they were escorted out.

I decided to reach out to my father. I replied to his letter and he put me in touch with the lawyer that helped him get his case reopened. He was able to arrange this visit for me.

From the meeting I had with the lawyer, my father was sentenced to life in prison with parole for attempted murder. With new evidence, the judge ruled that he should have been charged with aggravated adult with a deadly weapon. With that charge, he would have gotten up to 20 years. The lawyer didn't give me details about the incident because my father wanted to tell me what happened himself.

Last night, I couldn't sleep. I'm just really nervous. I don't know if I'm doing the right thing trying to get to know him. I feel like so many years have been wasted from this distance. I always felt bad as a child when I saw kids with their fathers riding bikes, eating ice cream, and dancing.

On the other hand, what if I'm getting myself involved with a psycho? I can only hope for the best.

I'm currently waiting for them to bring him to the visitation room. It's like a mix of a daycare and school cafeteria with these round tables.

"Nicole?" I turned back to my table to see my father standing across from me. He literally looks the same from how he looked in the old photos. The only difference is that he now looks more buff.

 The only difference is that he now looks more buff

"Hi." I said as he sat down.

"I'm so happy that I can lay eyes on you again."

"I never thought I would have the opportunity to be here. I grew up thinking you were dead. I really don't understand why I was made to think that."

"I guess your mother didn't want you to ask questions about why I was in prison."

"So what happened? Why are you in here?"