Chapter 12

"She tell me, "Badman, see, I need your love, see, I need your love"
Mi need you close to me, me, I tell her say me, oh, stay on the road
Bad energy stay far away, make it stay far away
Just give me love for the night, give me love for the night, gyal, waste no time."
Skepta ft. Wizkid "Energy (Stay Far Away)"

Nicole

"I see your eyes. Pretty brown eyes." I sang as I loaded up the washer.

It's my 27th birthday and unfortunately, I'm sick. I was supposed to go to SZA's concert last night with the girls for a pre-birthday celebration. It was when Tae was doing my hair and I sneezed four times in a row, I knew it was a wrap for me.

My night wasn't bad. I woke up around 7 this morning and finally got out of bed at 8:13. I honestly think I'll be fine before tomorrow. My nose is just stuffy and I sneeze once in a while. I'm staying in the house today and doing some light chores.

"Come on Leo." I opened the sliding door and he ran into the backyard. I sat down in the egg chair as he did his business. I leaned back and closed my eyes as I took a deep breath, letting the sun cover my face.

My phone started vibrating repeatedly. When I checked it, it was a Ring Camera notification. I saw my Mom and Mario in the camera. I walked back inside the house and went to unlock the front door.

"Happy birthday sweetheart!" She engulfed me in a hug.

"Thank you, Mom." I saw Mario standing behind her with a bunch of bags in his hands.

"Happy birthday Nicole."

"Thank you, Mario. Please come in." Life is too short to be holding grudges. If my Mom, my Dad, and Mario can get along, I don't have any problems with him. "Are all of these for me?"

"Yes, I bought every fragrance that was on your wish list. Just an FYI, these are your birthday and Christmas gifts."

"If I knew you were actually going to look at the list, I would have added more purses instead of fragrances."

"Don't play with me."

"I'm just joking. I really appreciate it, Mom."

"You're welcome."

"I got this for you." Mario handed me a small gift bag.

"I can't wait to see what it is." I pulled out the red box that was inside. It was Cartier. I opened it to find a white gold bracelet with four diamonds and an engraving of my name on the inside. "This is really beautiful. Thank you so much." I smiled at him.

"You're welcome."

"Have you eaten yet?" My Mom asked.

"No, I was either going to eat some cereal or order some McDonald's." I went into the pantry to grab Leo's food to put in his bowl. Once I filled it up, I poured water into his other one.

"Good, because I'm here to cook my sweet angel some breakfast."

"Y'all are spoiling me but I love it. What's on the menu?"