2

CHAPTER 2

       Tsireya had told 'Kanu that perhaps they should just show they Sully family to their new house for today. They must've been tired from their travels after all. 'Kanu was slightly disappointed she wouldn't get to know the new kids and show them around just yet, but she still followed behind her sister as they took the Sully family to their marui pod.

'Kanu laughed as she looked over her shoulder to see the youngest Sully child greeting an ilu. She slowed in her tracks and waited for most of the family to pass by. "That's an ilu," she told the little girl as she caught up with the rest, "You can learn how to ride tomorrow, if you wish."

The little girl giggled and the other daughter placed a hand on her shoulder, "Tuk, let's go."

"Just up here," Tsireya told them, leading the group. 'Kanu was helping the family by carrying a basket of their stuff - and she almost spilled that stuff when Tuk unexpectedly started jumping about, enjoying the elasticity of the terrain they had built.

Still, she smiled and hopped along with the little girl, passing by a few of the other family members. She saw from the corner of her eye as the boy who had greeted her earlier smiled as he watched her pass.

"This is for you," Tsireya said as she came to a stop by a marui pod, "Your new home."

Jake stepped past her to go inside and Neytiri did the same, "Yeah, this will work," Jake said, looking back at his family who had arrived inside, "This is great. It's nice, right?"

'Kanu was smiling until Neytiri dropped the rolled up fabric in her hands. It fell to the ground with a thud.

Tsireya and her met eyes - something they always did when they did not dare to speak. Tsireya jerked her head in the other direction and 'Kanu nodded, they would leave the family to settle in. The two said their goodbyes before walking along the path back to the mainland.

"Oh.." Tsireya suddenly said, stopping in her tracks. This made 'Kanu bump into her.

"What is it?"

"They don't know when it's food time," Tsireya said, turning around to go inform the Sully's. She'd had no time to take even one step before she noticed 'Kanu up ahead, running back to their house.

"I'll tell them!" 'Kanu looked over her shoulder at her sister, waving at her.

"Watch out!" Tsireya called. But too late.

'Kanu turned her head just in time to see someone standing in her path, she'd had no time to swerve or stop, thus she crashed right into them. "I'm sorry!" 'Kanu said as she felt herself stumbling over the edge. She was about to fall, but she hoped the other person wouldn't be angry. It wasn't the first time she'd lost focus and ran into an innocent villager.

Tsireya grimaced and turned her back on the scene. She walked away, telling herself that her sister would be just fine.

Before 'Kanu tipped over the edge she felt a hand hold onto hers, pulling her upright. "Are you okay?"

'Kanu looked behind her at the water, happy that she had prevented falling into it. She beamed as she turned back around, her face falling when she met the eyes of the man she had bumped into. "Sorry.. so - sorry," she said quietly.

The man sighed before waving his hands in dismissal, letting her know it was alright before he walked away again. Whoever he was, he surely had heard the villagers talking about the reckless daughter of their chief. It was common occurrence for her to accidentally hurt something, herself or someone.

'Kanu hung her head in embarrassment and was only brought back to reality when she heard laughter to her right. She looked up to see one of the newcomers laughing at her. She recognized him to be the one had stood beside the boy who had greeted her upon their arrival. She assumed he was the one who had saved her from toppling over into the water.