13

CHAPTER 13

"Then let's go!" Neteyam said. He did not wait for the others answers before he dove into the water. Lo'ak was already so far gone that it would be surprising if he could hear them.

"Neteyam, wait!" Tsireya called after him but the boy was already swimming through the water. Tsireya turned to look at her sister, who looked torn. She gave her a look that said don't you dare, but it was as if this only set her mind.

'Kanu leaned down to clap her hands above the water while clicking her tongue, calling a group of ilu's. She could see Neteyam taking hold of one before she jumped into the water after him. She did not look behind to see if the others had followed as she caught up with Neteyam.

Back on the path, the others were unsure of what to do.

It was Ao'nung who spoke first, "I am not letting a killer tulkun eat my sister," he said and dove into the water.

Tsireya turned to Kiri and Tuk, "Tell the elders," she told them before following the others.

Rotxo and Wotxma reached Kiri and Tuk not long after and looked into the water questioningly. "Where have they gone?" Wotxma asked.

"We think Lo'ak went to see Payakan," Tuk said. She seemed positively terrified by the supposedly bad tulkun.

Wotxma sighed before sliding on the back of an ilu that had remained behind, waiting for a rider. Rotxo followed his friend and looked back at the two girls, "Don't worry, we will go with them. Tell the adults."

Kiri nodded, "We were just about to do so," she told him before grasping Tuk's hand and hurrying down the slippery path.

When the group arrived to the place where Lo'ak was, 'Kanu motioned that they let go of their ilu's. Neteyam nodded and let go of the animal, allowing it to swim off freely. 'Kanu looked over her shoulder to see the others catch up with them.

"Are you crazy?" Ao'nung signed the moment he had let go of his ilu.

'Kanu rolled her eyes and turned back around, swimming through the water to reach large underwater plants to use as shelter.

Tsireya slapped Ao'nung's hand, "Do not scold her. She was worried."

Ao'nung merely glared at his sister before following 'Kanu and Neteyam, coming to a stop when he reached them. Soon the others followed and they all watched wide-eyed as Lo'ak swam deeper into the water and Payakan followed.

For a moment, Lo'ak looked confused and he shrugged at the large animal. That was when Payakan opened his mouth wide and Lo'ak seemed like he was debating something until he swam right into his mouth. 'Kanu was amazed - as were the rest of the Metkayina. Neteyam however seemed creeped out.

When Lo'ak was safely inside, Payakan abruptly closed his mouth. This caused Neteyam's eyes to widen and he quickly started swimming forward. All the Metkayina teenagers present hurried to hold him back and shake their heads, telling him to let it happen. Neteyam looked worried but he remained back, looking at the tulkun in anticipation.

'Kanu frowned her eyes as she turned her gaze back on the tulkun, disbelief in her gaze.

₊˚.༄

        When they returned to the village with Lo'ak, the Tsahik and Olo'eyktan were there to meet them. Without a word, they led the group to their marui pod and everyone knew to follow.

Ronal stood aside as the group passed her and entered the house. When Lo'ak walked by her, she placed a hand on his shoulder leading him inside herself.