3

CHAPTER 3

"Ay!" 'Kanu snarled as her sister yanked at her hair, "You're going to pull out all my hair!"

Tsireya rolled her eyes, "I will not," she told her, "Mother asked me to pull your hair into an updo. You're always getting your braids stuck in something.."

'Kanu sighed and crossed her arms. She was sat on the floor of their pod, looking out of their home. She saw the villagers swimming, fishing and having fun. She was annoyed she couldn't run right outside as well - instead she had to sit still while her sister tortured her. "Are you done yet?" She asked, fiddling with the bead necklace that hung over her chest.

"This would take much less time if you didn't always unravel your braids, you know," Tsireya responded. In the midst of 'Kanu's head of braids, there were spots of free hair where the braids had come undone. 'Kanu hadn't taken them down on purpose, she just somehow managed to do so as she went on about her life.

"Hurry up!" 'Kanu said. She was inpatient to see the Sully's again. Today would be the first day that they started teaching them. Tsireya pulled her hair lightly again, wordlessly telling her sister to remain still.

'Kanu lasted five more minutes in that position. Then she saw the four forest children walking past their pod and she stood up.

"'Kanu!" Tsireya called as she watched her sister sprint out of their home.

"Come join me, Tsireya!" 'Kanu waved her hand over her head, walking backwards.

"Look where you're going!" Tsireya told her.

'Kanu laughed and turned around. She channeled all her power to her legs, using her strength to push herself forward past the Sully children. Tuk let out a delighted squeal as she saw her speed past them. 'Kanu was laughing gleefully as she occasionally looked over her shoulder at the other children. She had successfully managed to get them all to chase her. Even Tsireya pushed past them and caught up with her.

Being swimmers, their legs were strong and that helped them run fast.

Tsireya shot a look at 'Kanu's unfinished hair. It was now fully braided, but it still fell freely past her shoulders. The Tsahik had specifically requested an updo for 'Kanu. Tsireya sighed wondering if she'd ever be able to do that bun on her sister. Given her attention span, it was not likely. "You should have let me do your hair!" She called as they ran down the path, swerving left and right to avoid the villagers.

'Kanu rolled her eyes and looked before her. She saw Aonung and Rotxo coming up ahead and this was enough to make her groan before diving into the water. She did this partly to avoid Tsireya's scolding.

'Kanu smiled to herself as she broke the surface. In the water was where she belonged. She was sure many Metkayina could agree with her on that. The water was warm on her skin and the marine life was amazing. It was safe in their reef. There were no big predators that wished to bring them harm.

She dove and turned around in the water, watching from under the surface as her siblings and Rotxo followed behind her, also diving in. 'Kanu smiled in greeting, and soon she swam along with them. They swam perhaps a few feet before turning over so that they faced the surface.

There, further away, she saw the Sully kids. They seemed at awe as they looked around at the life around them. All sized fish and other creatures swam around them and 'Kanu smiled at how mesmerized they seemed.

'Kanu, Tsireya and the two Metkayina boys swam ahead, slowing down or stopping every once in a while to look back at the others. They were slow swimmers. 'Kanu watched with a slight frown as they went back up to the surface. We're they taking air?