15

CHAPTER 15

Five more days had passed in which 'Kanu had slowly given up on spending time with Lo'ak. The boy just seemed to not want anything to do with her.

"Neteyam!" 'Kanu called and started heading toward him.

Neteyam - who had been feeding his ilu - looked up to see her approach, "'Kanu! What's up?" He asked once 'Kanu stood beside him, waist deep in the water.

"Your brother keeps avoiding me," was the first thing that 'Kanu said to him.

Neteyam frowned, though he was proud. He was yet to recognize the anger and hurt in her eyes, "Oh yeah?"

'Kanu nodded, "Yes. He is a lying piece of-"

"Whoa, whoa," Neteyam held up his hands, "That's my brother you are badmouthing," he was shocked. Why was she so angry? "What happened?"

"He does not need to spend time with me, but he just keeps lying," 'Kanu rolled her eyes and crossed her arms as the ilu nudged her thigh with its head, wordlessly asking what was wrong.

"Keeps lying?" Neteyam threw another piece of fish into the air and they both watched as the ilu stretched its neck to catch it.

"He says he's busy but then I see him later and he's doing absolutely nothing," 'Kanu sighed, "Does he not wish to be friends with me? That's fine - but he does not have other friends," she shrugged pettily. 'Kanu was beginning to ramble more to herself than talk to Neteyam, "Me, Reya and his siblings are the only people he spends time with. And not spending time with me means that he's not spending time with Tsireya - which then means he's going to be a loner. I mean he should at least make an effort to get to know the others so he wouldn't be all alone."

Neteyam's kept his wide eyes on the ilu before them. He didn't know if he was just imagining things, but the animal seemed to be laughing at his stupidity. 'Kanu noticed his sheepish look and nudged him, "What is it?"

"Hm?" Neteyam hummed and looked back up at her, "Oh - nothing. I just think I may have left the fire on back in the pod-"

'Kanu frowned, "A storm is coming. We were advised to leave the fire on to maintain warmth."

"I better go check it out!" Neteyam said and hurried off, wading toward the shore. 'Kanu was left standing there alone, unsure of what had happened. Was she some sort of Sully repellent?

'Kanu sighed and stroked the ilu's head, "Boys," she rolled her eyes but smiled when the animal nudged her hand.

Meanwhile Neteyam was hurrying through the village, searching for his brother. When he finally came across Lo'ak, he was sitting by the beach with a bored expression on his face.

"Lo'ak!" Neteyam called as he walked over to him.

Lo'ak looked up at his brother with an annoyed expression, "What?"

"Watch your tone," Neteyam teased as he sat down beside him.

Lo'ak rolled his eyes, "What is it?"

Neteyam cleared his throat awkwardly, "Well - you know I told you to act hard to get?"

Lo'ak nodded, "Yeah. Do you think it's working? I've caught her staring at me a few times. Though she always seems mad-"