22

CHAPTER 22

'Kanu did not know how she managed to climb so fast. Lo'ak was nowhere in sight no matter how much higher she clambered. The ship was sinking and she wondered what had happened to everyone else.

The ship was almost standing entirely on its side by the time she had made it to the very top. Tears were running down her cheeks once again as she whirled her head around, desperately looking for a sign of life.

Finally she saw them. The ship was rolling over but she jumped several feet lower, "Kiri!" She cried as she held her hand out to the girl. She noticed her human friend right behind her and reluctantly offered him her other hand.

Once Kiri was next to her she quickly bent down to help her with lifting up the human, "Spider - come! Hurry up!"

"We must go," 'Kanu said and lead the way higher as the ship rolled over. Climbing over obstacles proved itself to be rather difficult, but it was a matter of life and death so 'Kanu pushed herself.

By now the ship was almost completely in the water and the three of them ran along the bottom of it. It was the only part that was still above the surface.

"Go!" Spider yelled as he ran alongside them. The ship would not stop rocking, and at one point Kiri almost fell into a hole. 'Kanu had caught her wrist and held her steady. "This way! This way!" Spider beckoned them to follow.

Seeing no other way, 'Kanu and Kiri raced alongside him as he lead them higher and higher. With great struggle, the small group made it onto the highest point and they hurried to sit down. 'Kanu looked around wildly at the water that drew closer and closer every second. By now her feet were touching it.

"Stay together, okay?" Spider said and held his hand out to Kiri who grasped it, "Stay together!"

Kiri took 'Kanu's hand in hers as 'Kanu reached over to Spider, holding onto them both for dear life, "Stay together," she repeated. It was the last thing anyone said before they were forced to take deep breaths as the ship sunk. 'Kanu felt the water around her as she squeezed the two hands in her grasp.

The vortex that was caused by the ship sinking was too strong to resist and the three found themselves sinking along with it. Despite their efforts to hold onto one another, 'Kanu felt both Kiri and Spider begin to slip from her hands. She did not think too hard about who she wanted to stick with the most, as it was an obvious choice. When Kiri and Spider both slipped from her grasp, 'Kanu was quick to turn her back on the boy and reach out to Kiri with both of her hands.

The minute she felt the vortex dissipate, 'Kanu began swimming towards the surface, hand in hand with Kiri.

When they resurfaced, 'Kanu was relieved to see the boy right beside them. She may have made the obvious choice of abandoning him, but that did not mean she wanted him to die or drift apart from them.

The three stuck their heads in the water once more in an attempt to look around for the rest of them. When she heard calls, 'Kanu raised her head out of the water to see Lo'ak headed toward them on the back of an ilu.

"Lo'ak," she breathed out in relief.

Lo'ak looked back at her with wide eyes, "I told you to leave!"

Kanu started to explain herself, "I could not-"

Kiri cut her off, "Mom and dad are down there - in the ship!"

Lo'ak spared one last look at 'Kanu before turning his ilu so that it's side faced them, "Grab on."

'Kanu, Kiri, and Spider hurried to do as he said. When they all had a good grip on the animal Spider spoke, "Bro, I'm good! Go!" And they were off.

Lo'ak returned under the water with the three of them hanging on. 'Kanu looked back up at the surface as they made their way deeper into the water. She could see the fire burning on the water above and the orange light illuminated their path as they made their way lower and lower.