5

CHAPTER 5

'Kanu picked up a clam shell from the shallow waters and waded toward where Lo'ak stood waiting for her. She held up the clam and beckoned him to follow her. The two of them swam out to a deeper part of the sea.

"I will throw this," 'Kanu showed him the shell, "Can you fetch it for me?"

Lo'ak nodded with determination and swam further out. 'Kanu smiled at him and pulled her hand back before throwing it forward, letting go of the shell and watching as it fell through the water. Lo'ak looked at her and she nodded at him.

He took in a deep breath before diving. 'Kanu stuck her head into the water to watch as he swam after the clam shell.

The way of water has no beginning, and no end.

It's was dark outside, but inside the water it was like the brightest point of day. Lights shone on Lo'ak from every angle as he dove deeper. The marine life glowed in the dark around him.

The sea is around you, and in you.

Lo'ak could see the shell. It gleamed brightly in the luminescent light. He just had to fetch it.

The sea is your home. Before your birth, and after your death.

'Kanu's words repeated in his head as he willed himself to go deeper. The lack of oxygen would have gotten to him by now, but instead he was able to hold his breath. Just like she could.

Our hearts beat in the womb of the world. Our breath burns in the shadows of the deep.

When she wasn't being mean, 'Kanu was a great teacher - thought Lo'ak. The shell was now mere inches away from his fingertips.

The sea gives - and the sea takes.

Lo'ak was able to grasp the shell and he kicked off from the bottom of the water. Toward the surface.

Water connects all things.

As he made his way toward 'Kanu, he was mesmerized by his surroundings. The lights, the shapes. But the lack of oxygen was slowly beginning to bother him. He could make out 'Kanu's features as he swam upwards.

Life to death. Darkness to light.

Lo'ak's head broke the surface and he held up the shell. "I got it, 'Kanu!" He said, laughing as he looked at the shell in his hand.

'Kanu laughed and held his hand that was wrapped around the shell, "You did it!" She said, smiling gleefully.

₊˚.༄

"How did you manage to teach my knucklehead brother your breathing technique?"

'Kanu looked over her shoulder and laughed as Neteyam approached her. "He isn't a bad student."

"No," Neteyam shook his head as he came to a halt beside her, "You must be a great teacher."

'Kanu merely shrugged, she would take the compliment. She didn't feel the need to tell him how many of the children were angry at her because of her teaching methods. She wasn't cruel or anything - she only tried to get them motivated through challenge. She blamed Aonung for it.