10

CHAPTER 10

       "I wish I'd been there," Kiri said. The young Na'vi had gathered around on a rock and Lo'ak was retelling what had happened after Ao'nung and his friends left him alone outside the reef. "The ocean has blessed you with a gift, brother."

'Kanu was in awe. Lo'ak had met a tulkun and become friends with him? How amazing was that?

Ao'nung - who stood beside 'Kanu - spoke up and bent down slightly, "The tulkun have not returned yet, and anyways no tulkun is ever alone." It was true, 'Kanu shrugged. They always travelled with each other and they were not going to arrive for another week or so.

"This one was," Lo'ak told them, "He had a - a missing fin. Like a stump on the left side," he looked at 'Kanu as he spoke, gesturing to his own arm.

All the Metkayina's eyes widened at that. Lo'ak looked around in confusion before his eyes landed on 'Kanu. She shook her head softly, "Payakan. It's Payakan," she said, turning to the other Metkayina.

"Who's Payakan?" Kiri asked.

"A young tulkun who went rogue," Rotxo said. Everyone in their tribe knew Payakan - the adults had always warned them about the bad tulkun that would eat Na'vi children if they ventured too far. It was a bit of a stretch - but it worked well with keeping the children safe, "He's outcast - alone. And he has a missing fin."

"They say he is a killer," Tsireya chimed in.

Lo'ak looked from her to 'Kanu as if to confirm this information. 'Kanu only nodded slowly. "No," he said.

"He killed Na'vi," Ao'nung told him, "And other tulkun. Not here - but far to the south."

"No. He's no killer," Lo'ak persisted.

"Lo'ak," 'Kanu said, placing a hand on his arm. Lo'ak glanced at her hand before meeting her eyes. "You are lucky to be alive."

Lo'ak placed his other hand on top of hers, "I'm telling you guys - he saved my life. He's my friend."

There was silence around them until Neteyam stood up, "My baby bro," he said, speaking up for the first time during their gathering, "A mighty warrior who faced a killer tulkun and lived to tell about it," he shook his brothers shoulders teasingly.

Lo'ak became angry and he stood up, "You guys aren't listening."

'Kanu looked at him sadly. She knew he expected them to all be excited and happy for him but instead he'd gotten this. She wished that she could react differently - but Payakan was dangerous, and he couldn't be allowed to see him again.

"Lo'ak, I'm listening," Tuk said as Lo'ak turned and walked away.

"Lo'ak - come back," Kiri said, "You skxawng," she told Neteyam. 'Kanu watched as he walked off and she stood up to follow him. She was sure he would go right to Payakan.

Just as she was about to step down from the cove her sister held her back by placing a hand on her shoulder, "Don't go, 'Kanu," she told her.

'Kanu ceased in her steps and looked back at her sister with a questioning gaze, "He will go find Payakan," she said, looking around at the other Metkayina.

"It is not our problem," Rotxo told her, shrugging. Neteyam and the rest of the Sullys looked startled that he would say that. Not their problem if he died?

'Kanu scoffed, "The elders will be furious if they find out that we did not prevent this!"

Tsireya sighed and stepped in front of her sister, her back facing the others so that they couldn't see or hear her well, "Lo'ak will be angry with you if you try to stop him."