chapter twenty three

Over the next couple of days, the avengers or a few members in particular... were starting to get on Y/n's nerve. She had since given up on the slow healing process and asked Mal to heal her, the only remains of her endeavour were the slight ache in her body.

She had spoken to pretty much everyone, everyone who was worried about her at least. Maria despite their current rocky relationship, still came bursting through the tower's doors along with a disguised Nick Fury. Both spoke with the brunette, the latter of the two remembering the call he received from her whilst she was in space, feeling guilty for being unable to protect her. Y/n apologised for the call and forgave them both despite Clint, who had since entered the room, harboured anger surrounding the fact that Maria treated her as a prisoner after rescuing her from being held captive.

Today, however, she spoke with the ancient one, which ended up being Y/n asking many questions about the 'destiny' that was bestowed upon her. Mentioning what she learned from the collector and how she has the potential to save everyone. She also explained how she was able to hold the power stone, and how more people know about her.

"Ms Hill, do you know understand what is to become of you?" She asked, scoffing and with a tilt of her head Y/n sighed "Why me?" "We don't know, all we know is you possess the strength and ability to do so" "Right... so where am I off to next?" "Nowhere far, you have already met the next person you are supposed to help" The Ancient One replies cryptically, before creating a portal. "Now, if that is all..." "-yeah I get it, I'll see you later I 'suppose," Y/n says before leaving the couch she was perched on and walking through the portal into the common room of the Avengers tower.

"Welcome home, Ms Hill" Jarvis greets. "Hey Jarvis" "You have some mail waiting for you downstairs" Muttering thanks she headed downstairs and collected the mail and read through the multiple envelopes addressed to her, before stopping on one written in fancy letters. Opening the envelope she reads the contents, an invitation to a gala hosted by Wilson Fisk.

"Jarvis who is Wilson Fisk?" The woman asks entering the elevator only to exit it a few moments later when she reaches the common room. "Wilson Fisk recently has come into the public light, but he is a wealthy businessman and has hopes to save Hell's kitchen"

"Woah Woah Hill? are you talking to another wealthy businessman? What about Tony?" Clint jokes looking up from where he was sitting on the couch. Y/n furrows her brows before sending him a glare. "What about me?" Tony asks entering the room along with Nat who raises her brows intrigued. "You're not the only rich guy trying to get with Y/n," Clint says. Making Y/n's face drop before she slaps his chest with the mail she had in her hands. He laughs before raising his hands "What? Am I wrong?" "Uh...no one is getting with anyone..." Tony says chuckling as he scratches the back of his head. Nat smirks "So who is the other guy?" Tony looks at Nat with a frown before looking over at Y/n, whose gaze drops to the invitation in her hand. "All of you calm down. A just got invited to a gala hosted by Wilson Fisk... okay?" She says. Tony grumbles something which makes Nat smirk. "How do you know him?" Clint asks. Shrugging Y/n responds "I don't"

"Well, are you going to go?" Tony asks his hand resting on his chin, as he tries to act casual. "I don't know, probably not," She says looking down, Clint sighs before sitting up and taking the invitation from her hand. "I say we go, could be a bit of fun? We haven't gone out for a while. Do you remember the last time you were in a nice dress?" Clint jokes, and Y/n's face drops.

"Yeah, when I was with HYDRA" She mutters, before taking the invitation and leaving the room, going to her floor and entering her room. The lights were off, and when she turned the lights on she saw her window was open, walking over she closed the window before turning around freezing when she notices someone in the corner of her room. "You... what are you doing here?"

The masked man, the same man who saved me the other night, stood with hands out in front of him palms turned upwards. "Wilson Fisk, you know him?" "No? How do you.... never mind" she mumbles looking down at the invitation as he shyly asks her to read it for him. After doing so she looks up at him, "I ask this in the kindest way, so please don't take this in the wrong way... but are you blind?" The man chuckles nodding a smile appearing on his face. "Yeah" "Jesus, how do you fight like that... no- wait how did you get in here?" He shrugs "Ok ok, keep your secrets" Y/n smirks.

"The man you saw, the one with the glasses, he works with Fisk," The man says. Noticing when her breathing stutters "What?" "He knows you're alive, this is a trap" "How does he know? What do they want from me?"

'I think this is the guy we are supposed to help' Rain says

'you think?' snarks Mal

"I believe there have been men following you, as for what they want... I don't know" The man says, Y/n tilts her head "And what are you doing.... following the men following me?" He chuckles again. "You make it sound so childlike" He humours. Y/n shrugs "So will you be at the gala?" She poses leaning against the wall. He opens and shuts his mouth, making Y/n smirk. "You will be there, but I won't be able to recognise you because you won't be in your getup," She says. He tilts his head. "I will be there, and if anything goes wrong I will come to you," He says, Y/n walks closer to him. "Ok, but you do know I can protect myself right? The night you saved me was after I had been in hospital so I was already weak..." He smirks "Really?" "Yeah-" "Ms Hill, Mr Stark is asking for you" Jarvis interrupts. The masked man's face or the visible parts scrunches up in the mention of Tony.

"Tell him I will be there shortly" she replies. "Will you ever reveal your identity, since we will be working with each other?" "Will we?" He replies. Rolling her eyes she gestures to the window. "If you don't have anything else to add then I will leave you to leave how you came," she says before watching him climb out the window and using some grappling hook or some utility he leaves the building.

"What the hell have I gotten myself into now" She mumbles before leaving to talk to Tony.