chapter twenty seven

He spins me one last time before letting go and my hand is grabbed by someone else and I am pulled into someone else chest.

I take a moment, still looking at the retreating figure of Clint as he quickly leaves the dance floor, my frown deepens as I see him talk to Nat using discreet hand signals and looking briefly over at me.

Then my new dance partner spins me around causing me to look away which makes me huff and I try to let go and get out of the dance. "Excuse me, sorr- To- Stark?" I clear my throat, blinking once too many as I look up at him. He is looking down at me with amusement, one eyebrow-raising as his hand squeezes mine, which makes me also realise our hand placements.

One of my hands is intertwined with his and the other is placed loosely onto his shoulder and his other hand is, oh. I feel my face heat up as I feel his hand on my waist.

"Wow it took you about thirty seconds too long to realise that you were dancing with me, and I can't decide if I should be hurt by that," He says blatantly. It was weird at realising I was in his proximity I felt my frown lighten and I eased into his grip, into the stance. But now that I knew it was him, and I was focused on him and not watching wherever Nat and Clint went, I began to realise the little things

How his strong cologne should've notified me that he was my dancing partner.

He furrowed his brows as he stared back at me which again made me remember that I have to respond and not just stare. "Well I thought after the first ten seconds you'd take the hint" I tease and look away, he chuckles and begins moving faster as the music shifts into a quicker-paced song. "It'd take me a lot more than ten seconds to leave" He mutters. Once again I feel my face heat up and I look away.

He asks and spins me around our entwined hands above mine as he spins me. "You know" He trails before pulling me tightly against his chest, I look at him while I catch my breath. "I didn't quite take you for a dancer" He smirks. Whilst catching my breath I huff. "Are you saying I have a bad form?" I snark and he raises both of his brows before twisting his lips as he judges my 'form'. "Could do a little better, I'd give it a 6 out of ten, the outfit makes up for it" He admits and I chuckle

"Aw, you think I'm pretty?" I tease scrunching my nose as I try to stand up straighter fixing my grip on his shoulder and he

smiles. "No, I wouldn't say that," He says which makes me furrow my brows deflating slightly, not that I care about what he thinks...

"I'd say you look beautiful, not just pretty" He smirks at my reaction and in a swift movement he spins me out, following the rhythm of the music as he pulls me close again and dips me. Making my heart jump and my breath gets caught as his face hovers above mine, his lips inches away. Flicking my gaze up I catch his eyes dropping to my lips before trailing back up to my eyes.

"Ok, now I know you're buttering me up-" "Is it working?" He smirks and I scrunch my nose up at him as he cuts me off. This time instead of allowing him to dominate the embrace, using the already minimal space between us I lean up toward him "... what are you hiding?" I whisper as his breath ghosts across my skin.

He breathes out thickly and when I lean back I notice his eyes are an even deeper shade of brown. Which makes me smirk, he then continues to look between my eyes and lips just as I do the same. "Not hiding just distracting" he slyly states, before pulling me back up to stand. "Ok... what's going on?" I ask as I notice Nat and Clint walking hastily to the other side of the bar. Tony notices my adverted attention and switches around so I am not facing them.

This makes me frown. And he mockingly pouts. "You're being mean" I state teasingly, he chuckles "I don't know what you mean. I just like attention... that's nothing new" He states nonchalantly

"No, it's not" I agree he hums, lips forming a tight smile as the music changes and returns to a slower-moving song, in fluid motion, he moves our entwined hands to his other shoulder and lets go of mine, before placing his other hand on my waist. Getting the hint I hold onto his shoulders as he holds my waist, however tempting it is the place my arms around his neck. I don't. I don't know what it means that I itch to be closer but I am ignoring it.

"I'm cool, we're cool. Everything is cool and going well" He jokes and I raise a brow. "Cool?" He nods as he starts to move us from side to side. "Cool as a cucumber" I chuckle. "If you're so 'cool' then why have you kept me distracted for the past 20 minutes?" I ask he grins. "You find me distracting... that's cute"

I sigh and hang my head which almost makes contact with his chest but I stop myself, though from where my gaze is lowered I can see how his chest rumbles as he laughs. When I look up again I go to say something when I see a figure approach us and my grin widens, as he taps Tony's shoulder.

Tony's body tenses and his grip on my waist tightens before he looks over his shoulder and furrows his brows.

"Excuse me, Mr Stark, may I cut in?" Matt asks and I'm already detaching my hands from Tony whilst his hands stay firmly on my waist. "Sorry, we are in the middle of something" Tony replies clipped he frowns at me as he notices my hands leaving his shoulders.

"Actually Stark, I think I will have a dance with Matt" Tony's confusion grows as he looks at me surprised, I place my hand on his chest and pat it a couple of times as I tilt my head, a playful smirk appearing on my face. "Unless you have a problem and find things aren't as cool as a cucumber" I reuse his words and he notices as he frowns, before reluctantly letting go, still keeping one hand on me as he turns to Matt.

"Matt, why is he Matt whilst I'm always Stark?" He asks. And it takes me a moment, but I do eventually respond. "I do call you Tony-" "Only occasionally" He corrects and I place my hands on my hips "Well you can't talk you call me Hill normally" He frowns before looking over at Matt's glasses and walking stick

"You're blind," Tony says and I hit his shoulder and send him a warning glare. Matt chuckles before taking a step closer to me and hesitantly grabs my hand, not before gesturing for me to hold his hand and waiting for my ok. "Really? I did not know?" Matt teases and I smile.

"Aw Stark, don't be worried, just like you said. I'm quite the dancer" I muse and smile forcibly as Matt folds his guiding stick up and places it in his blazer pocket and places his other hand on my waist which I notice makes Tony's jaw clench.

"Ok, maybe I was buttering you up too much" Tony grumbles

"I may not be as well fitted for the dance floor as you are Mr Stark but I assure you I know a few steps, and with Y/n leading I'm sure we will be fine," Matt says as I lace my hands around his neck grinning at Tony as I send him once last wink before Tony walks off.

However, I continue to watch him as he reunites with Nat who looks at him with an amused grin.

Turning my attention back to Matt we continue to dance and talk.

Whilst...

"Tony you were meant to keep her close by... whose is that guy?" Nat asks Tony, who grumbles and leans his back against the bar. "Matt Murdock I believe and I tried to keep her with me, but you said not to tell her about Fisk so I didn't know what to do... besides she knows him and seems comfortable with him so I think she's safe" Tony begrudgingly says

Nat only smirks at Nat before nodding to Clint who comes up to them both, "Y/n safe?" Clint asks eyeing Tony carefully. Nat chuckles "Don't mind him Clint... someone's a bit pissy because he got left on the dance floor" Tony throws his hands up as he looks at Y/n and Matt.

"For a blind man for Christ's sake," he mumbles and Nat tries her best not to laugh whilst Clint looks over at Matt and notices Y/n's smile and softens. "You'll get over it, now Wilson is about to enter the gala soon, it appears his bodyguards have mysteriously gone missing..." He looks at Nat knowingly, and she smirks.

"Oh, I wonder how that happened?" Nat muses and Tony rolls his eyes.

"So what now?" He grumbles continuing to watch Y/n spin in Matt's arms.

"Well we wait, so pucker up lover boy you're going to have to watch this for a little while longer" Clint teases finally letting his smirk show as he whisks Nat off onto the dance floor.