Chapter 1

I couldn't breathe. Everywhere I looked, I saw his face. The walls, the ceiling, on the bed on the pillow beside me, even the mirror in my bathroom. His scent still lingered in my nostrils. I saw his face around every corner. 

     I got myself out of bed, an oversized t-shirt keeping me somewhat warm in the autumn chill. Even so, a rogue breeze from the open window in my room slipped against my skin. It crept up my back, making the bandaged wound between my shoulder blades sting. I stepped out into my parents' hallway, not needing my fae hearing in order to pick up my father's loud snoring. It seemed to rumble the house with its noise. I crept quietly past my parents' bedroom and into the living room to stand in front of the large window overlooking the city. It was raining.

     I watched the rivulets slide down the glass. It was just cold enough outside that condensation was beginning to build on the inside of the window. I was always telling dad to get the windows replaced, but he was never in a rush to get things like that done. "Bottom of the priority list," he was always telling me.

     I watched the city while the rain distorted colours and lights, making the cityscape look like a watercolour painting. I moved to an armchair beside the window, careful not to press my back against the chair. The wounds were still too fresh, my fae healing abilities too slow to catch up with the atrocity that happened to them.

     I pulled out my phone with an apprehensive breath and began dialing.

     A low voice met my ear on the other end almost immediately. "Hello?"

     "Ryder," I greeted.

     The voice on the other end paused. "I will say, Ria, I was expecting to hear from you, but I wasn't expecting it to be this soon."

     "He tried to kill me," I said quietly.

     The voice on the other end cursed. "He's a Lion, Ria. I told you he was bad news."

     "You're with the Serpents, Ry," I snapped at him, my voice icy. "Tell me how you're any better."

     "We're vigilantes. Not criminals."

     "Tell that to the press," I whispered on the other end.

     Ryder paused. "Why are you calling me, Ikaria?"

     I brought my knees up to my chest. "He's not going to stop trying. I need passage out of the city. To Lornley or Viksenti, I don't care which. But I need to get out. And I need a protection team for my parents." I looked towards my parents room. Two sets of snores met my fae ears. Good. I didn't want them awake to overhear this conversation.

     "That'll cost you, Ria," Ryder whispered quietly on the other end. "You know how this works."

     "I'm willing to pay."

     "Are you saying what I think you're s-"

     "Yes."

     Another pause.

     "Are you positive? Because we can wait until the morning if-"

     "Yes," I snapped, "Talk to Zephyr. If you need to, put him on the line. We can talk terms tonight."

     I waited on the other end of the line for a few minutes before a different voice rumbled on the phone.

     "Ikaria Silverstone," Zephyr Kallus chided, "I didn't think I'd be hearing your voice tonight."

     "Sorry to disappoint you," I said quietly, trying to keep the tremble from my speech.

     "Oh, quite the opposite, love. I've been looking forward to this ever since you got tangled up with Vik."

     "Spare me the theatrics, please. I'm calling to make a deal." I spoke in an even tone on the phone. No fear. That was the only way this was going to work.

     "Ryder said you need passage out of the city, and protection. You realize what that will cost you?"

     "I do," I acknowledged.

     "Glad you finally came to your senses."

     "How many years?" my heart was beating so quickly.

     A pause.

     "Ten years of service if we throw in room and board, and ongoing protection of your family throughout. You'll be stationed in Viksenti with the Six."

     I exhaled a breath. For the protection of my parents, I would do it.

     "Can you leave tonight?" Zephyr asked.

     I looked toward my parents bedroom, listening to the soft snoring that told me they were still fast asleep, oblivious and innocent. All was well in their world. "Yes," I whispered.

     "I'll have a detachment there in fifteen."

     And the line went dead.