Chapter 5

The training room was spectacularly huge. Everywhere I looked, people were moving and sparring. The walls were made of loamas; a shimmery black, foam-like material that was completely magic-proof. It was hard to come by, and extremely expensive, which made me gape. Training rings were scattered around the floor, along with mats. Towards the left were several mazes and false rooms for simulations.

     This would be where I would spend the majority of my time in the following weeks.

     I watched as several vamps turned to survey Steele and I, scenting our blood in the air. They all promptly looked away as soon as they saw Steele's hulking, frowning form, which I was grateful for.

     "The chambers to the right are for magic," the fae male explained as we strode through the training grounds. A pair of nymphs were fighting on mats near them, in a style that I couldn't recognize. Two large wolf shifters were shouting advice from the sidelines, although it didn't seem to be taken into consideration. I followed Steele in the direction of the glass chambers.

     "How many magic users does Zephyr have here?" I asked, my eyes widening as I watched a wolf shifter and a vamp battling it out with air and water magic.

     "Many," Steele responded. I followed his gaze in front of us. The rooms themselves were encased in magic-proof glass, likely as a precaution. On the off chance anything got out of control, it provided visibility to those on the outside.

     And, I thought to myself, It's a way of revealing magic users so that they can't disguise themselves in Zephyr's ranks. He wanted to use their every ability to its greatest potential, which was one of the reasons why the Serpents had grown to become so strong. I blew out a breath as they passed a few more rooms, and then Steele opened the doors to an empty one.

     "You're likely more desperate to use yours," Steele gestured without glancing in my direction, "You go first. I'll follow."

     "Are you sure?"

     Steele leaned against a wall with his hands in his pockets, nonchalant.

     "Alright then," I muttered. I closed the glass door behind me, which sealed with magic as it clicked shut. I knew Steele was just trying to rattle me, unnerving me by watching me display my magic, but I didn't care. I was too desperate to feel it, to breathe it again. It had been so difficult to hold it in the way I had been forced to do for so long, and without the proper place to expel it properly.

     I took a deep breath and stepped in. I scented several magically-infused dummies and targets in the room, likely impenetrable. The small screen in a corner told me that the room could adapt if I wanted to try my hand at some virtual combat or targets. But all I wanted was release.

     "Is it soundproof?" I shouted, turning around and gesturing at Steele with my finger pointing at my ear.

     Yes, Steele mouthed, and I was filled with relief. For what happened next, only the dummies and targets in the room would hear what I had to say. I walked over to the doll and carefully placed it in the centre of the room. It reeked of different kinds of magic, residual pieces leaving traces after years of target practice use.

     I backed up until I was pressed against the glass, my back to Shane. My power flitted to the surface of my skin immediately, begging for release like a dog needing a scratch. I held it for a moment, summoning all of my strength. I braced myself with one foot placed directly in front of my body, lifting my hands in front of my face, palms facing out. The smoky scent of my magic filled the air with a near-electrical charge, moving through my core. I took another deep breath, and at the next, I released my fire at the practice dummy with a wordless scream.