Chapter 1: the idea

The well-dressed, well-groomed woman walked through the glass doors out to the brightly lit entertainment/pool area at the rear of the house.

"Roger, I feel that it is about time a few ladies were given a reality check," she announced to her husband who was sitting at a table studying the screen of his laptop.

He sighed, leaning back. "What are you up to, Joyce?"

"I think it will be fun. I'm sure Nathan will be in it, he loves a good prank."

"Oh, oh," grimaced the husband. "Just what are you up to, Joyce?" he repeated with a very doubtful look at his spouse.

"As you know, I have been over to Fawley to the beauty pageant this evening."

"Yeeeees."

"Well, some of those women over there are so up themselves; think they know all the things that constitute a beautiful girl. This attribute, that aspect, blah, blah, blah. Such experts."

"Soooo?"

"I think it will work," ( a mischievous laugh).

Roger put his hands behind his head and sighed despairingly, "I suspect that I really don't want to know this, but tell me anyway."

"I'm going to dress Nathan up and enter him in next year's pageant," and she swept away with a big smile.

Their eighteen-year-old son, Nathan, shared his mother's wicked sense of humour and agreed without hesitation. He was a slim, fine-boned lad with regular features and a lovely smile. He was around average height and a graceful mover. He made up for his lack of strength and bulk in sports with his quickness and agility. He was in his first year at university.

They developed a program. They had plenty of time to get Nathan looking right and for him to learn all the ins and outs of girl behaviour.

Clothes were bought, along with shoes, accessories, etc, etc. Nathan even had his ears pierced. Mother and son held regular training sessions and were pleased with their progress. Roger was less impressed. "It will never work. You two are dreaming," (always accompanied by shakes of his head).