Chapter 4: an escort required

The nature and form of this year's Fawley pageant were finally released. The theme was to be 'going to the races'. The young ladies were to dress accordingly and there would be no clothing changes. The entrants would be required to participate in a number of activities and would require a male escort (a young man, not their fathers). Joyce had anticipated the possible need for a male escort and had her eye on one.

Luke was the son of a woman whom Joyce had known from her former profession as a science teacher. He was twenty-one, a keen surfer and at university studying architecture. He was well-presented and well-mannered by all accounts. His father had died some years ago and recently his mother, Carol, had been forced to medically retire because of a serious back condition. Joyce decided to renew her acquaintance with her old colleague. She found the poor woman strapped up in a brace in a wheelchair.

"I'm able to stand for short periods and walk a few steps. So I manage. A nurse comes in each morning and each evening to assist me with getting in and out of bed and with dressing."

She was a strong-minded woman and in good spirits. Joyce enjoyed their tête-à-tête, and as she had hoped, Luke came home while she was still there.

"Oh yes, you will do very nicely." Joyce thought as she gave the tall, well-built young man the once over.

"Do you have any children, Joyce?" asked Carol.

"Oh yes, I have a daughter." And it seemed that the die was cast.

Joyce visited Carol again a week later and after a while drew the pageant into the conversation. She realised that Carol was looking at her closely, with her head tilted slightly to one side.

"I remember that you were a bit of a sly fox, Joyce," she said with a smile.

Joyce laughed and threw up her hands. "And I'd forgotten that you were so bloody clever. Guilty as charged, your honour."

Joyce 'owned up' that her daughter needed an escort and the two women agreed that it was up to Natalie to ring Luke and ask him. Carol would warn Luke to expect the phone call. A preliminary meeting would be in order.