Chapter 5: Luke

"Luke Baker?"

"Yes."

"This is Natalie Crowne."

"Hi, Natalie."

"Our mothers have been talking."

"They certainly have."

"Luke, I wanted to ask you if you would do me a favour and be my escort . . . (already nervous, her voice faltered). Sorry, I'm not used to asking men out," (and that was the truth).

"I suspect you don't have to."

"Oh, how gallant," (that's it, be a girl).

"I'm trying to impress."

"You're doing well," (oh come on, let's not overdo it).

"Mum told me the date of the pageant and I'm available that night."

"We should meet first. At my place."

"Sure."

They arranged a time, the Sunday morning on the weekend before the pageant. Natalie said: "Luke, please hold off on your final decision until after we meet."

Natalie had decided that it would be wrong to deceive her escort and was going to tell him the truth when they met.

"As you wish, but tell me something, are you attending the same uni I am?"

"No, a different one. I'm studying modern languages."

They continued chatting for a while and then, "See you on Sunday."

"I'm looking forward to it."

 . . . . . . . . . .

"Mum, he sounds really nice on the phone."

"That's good, dear."

 . . . . . . . . . .

"Hello, Luke. Come in."

"Thanks, Mrs Crowne"

Calling out: "Natalie, Luke's here."

"Coming, Mum." They could almost hear her taking a deep breath.

"She's wearing her pageant outfit. Final fitting today."

Luke's jaw literally dropped. Walking slowly toward him was one of the most beautiful young women he'd ever seen. "My God," he exclaimed. "Natalie, you . . . you, you are absolutely gorgeous."

In contrast to her phone call, Natalie had her nerves under control. Her face, with its closed-mouth smile, was composed and she held her body with graceful ease. It was Luke who was stammering a bit.

"We're very proud of her, aren't we, Roger?"

"We certainly are," said Roger stepping forward to shake hands with Luke.

Joyce was continuing to study Natalie. "Stunning, truly stunning."

"Hear, hear," enthused Luke.

Natalie's haughty composure finally eased. "Stop it, you lot. I'm trying to look posh here."

"But . . . but, I don't understand. Why am I the lucky guy? You must have fifty boyfriends, a hundred. And by the way, before any of them try to jump in, my final answer is a definitive yes."

Natalie held up her hand. "Thank you, Luke, but please, please, wait just a little longer. I'll explain."

"Roger, bring the tea out, would you please dear, and Natalie's apron. We can't risk getting anything on the dress."

Natalie slid elegantly into the chair that Luke drew out for her. "Practice makes perfect, sweetheart," her mother remarked.

"It sure does, Mum," Natalie smiled.