Chapter 7: the pageant & aftermath

The pageant was a walkover. Natalie and Luke were clearly the premier pair: Natalie's poise and grace a class above the other girls, and Luke, handsome and debonair. They danced better, walked better, looked better, spoke better and displayed impeccable manners. Natalie was made the Pageant Queen.

Roger and Joyce drove them home and went inside leaving the two young ones to say their goodbyes outside the front door. Natalie placed her hands on Luke's forearms as though to say 'Goodnight', but he took her forearms in his hands and they stood there, close, but apart, holding each other's arms and gazing into each other's eyes. Eventually, Luke spoke with a catch in his throat. "So is it back to Nathan tomorrow then?"

Natalie just turned her head away.

"Natalie," he said softly, but she wouldn't look back.

"Natalie," he said more insistently, but she still wouldn't turn her head.

For some time nothing moved. Then he heard her say in despairing tones "Oh, Luke, Luke." She broke away and fled through the front door.

. . . . . . . . . . .

It was the next day, Sunday morning around ten o'clock. Joyce answered the door. Luke was standing there, looking a little dishevelled, a small bouquet of flowers (where had he got them from?) in his hand. "Hello, Mrs Crowne. Is Natalie home? Please tell me she's home."

"I think she might be, Luke. Please come in. I'll just go up and see."

Joyce returned a few minutes later. "Yes, she's just got up, down in a second."

A second was about right. Natalie hadn't stopped to get dressed, she was still in her night clothes, wrapped in a flowing white satin robe. Her hair was held off her face by a simple clip. She wore no make-up except a subdued coloured lipstick; the little pearl earrings from last night were still in her ears. To Luke, she was a vision, a dream. She walked slowly holding the stair rail. She stopped a couple of steps from the bottom and they stood looking at each other as though continuing last night's abortive goodbye.

Luke held up the flowers awkwardly. "For you."

"Thank you," she smiled limply.

More silence, more staring into each other's eyes.

"Luke, what's happening? I don't understand."

"I don't understand either. I . . . I just had to come. I just had to see you. You're . . . you're . . ." He stopped, unsure how to continue.

Natalie dropped her head and whispered "Luke, Luke. Oh lord, I think I've fallen in love with you. How can that be?"

Luke's chest heaved as he took a great breath. "I don't know, I don't care. I'm just so glad. Natalie, please . . . will you always be Natalie for me? Please, because I just can't lose you. I can't."

They moved together and held each other. Then Natalie took his hand and led him upstairs to her bedroom.