CHAPTER 3: THE CAKE

VANESSA

It was the morning after the night before. To look at me first thing, you would think that I was violently ill, like I had been puking for hours. My skin was pale and my eye had bags under them from a lack of sleep. A little concealer and mascara go a long way.

I didn't sleep... not even a wink. How could I?

I walked into the kitchen and there he was, like a perfect picture. Seeing him standing at the island drinking his double shot expression, was like a flashback of old times. He was even reading the paper.

"Where did you get that?"I asked, remembering we never used to get the paper delivered. Has he been out already? I wasn't on the call with my therapist for that long.

"Sebastian brought it on his way over."Jeremy closed the paper and folded it in half before setting it down on the island."How was the call — Did you tell him everything?"

I nodded my head and walked towards the stool. I took a seat on the other side of the island, my phone was in front of me and I looked at the screen.

9:45 am.

"Are you okay?"He asked.

"I told Dr Mattis what happened."I tucked my hair behind my ear feeling anxious over the topic of conversation. I hated talking about this, even in therapy."Do you know what today is? It's one year since it happened, Dr Mattis thinks that the anniversary is triggering me and that's why I saw someone last night."

"And what do you think?"Bracing his palms on the island, he looked at me. My husband waited for my reply, but he already knows what I think.

I scared him last night. The way I acted, how scared I was. The blood... Jeremy called a doctor. I told him that I was okay but he was protective and wouldn't let it go. In the end, I only needed a few stitches and some painkillers.

He wants me to tell him that I just imagined it and I'm okay. I guess it would be easier that way, wouldn't it?

"There was someone in the garden, I saw them."

"Or maybe what the therapist said was right, it makes sense. Being back here is part of that too." Jeremy sighed."I'll hire some extra security while we're here, it'll give you peace of mind."

"Thank you."I was disappointed that he didn't believe me, I know I would believe him. I looked down at my bandaged hand, feeling the pain of my stitches now my painkiller was wearing off.

"Is it sore?"He asked in concern.

"A little, I've had worse."We both have. A little blood and some stitches doesn't scare me. I should probably take that painkiller though.

"You should take your painkiller."He walked to the fridge and grabbed a water bottle. He came back to me with that and my pain medication."I have to show my face at the office, there's some things that I need to do while I'm here. Do you want to come?"

Going to his office, I'll just be in the way."I'm okay here, I'll finish packing."

"Alright, be careful with that hand."Jeremy came around the island towards me and pressed a kiss to the middle of my forehead."I love you."