CHAPTER 10: THE BLUE TRIMMED ENVELOPE

VANESSA

"I don't know how he found out. I didn't even think to ask because I was too distracted with all his questions."I exhaled a breath."I don't know what to do, Jeremy."

"Come home."He replied.

"I knew you would say that. I'm guessing you're not advising me that I should come home, but telling me because you miss me and you can't stand another night without me."I smiled."Am I right?"

Jeremy chuckled."You are right, I can't stand another night without you, Gorgeous. But the choice is yours. I won't complain, just do what you have to do."

"Hmm, You'll probably regret that later when you're lonely."I stopped outside the coffee shop so I could finish our conversation before going inside."I don't know, I want to talk to him but I don't know how that will go. He's going to be so angry."

"The truth is a good place to start. Right now he only knows bits and pieces, maybe you should fill in the rest."Jeremy sighed."You know I don't care much for the way your brother has been treating you lately... but I think it would be wise to set the record straight about us."

Jeremy doesn't care much for my brother, period.

"Maybe you're right."I turned my head as some people walked into the coffee shop. I looked through the window and saw a familiar face. Finley's neighbour."I should get going, I want to grab breakfast for Finley before he wakes up."

"Call me later, okay? I don't want to go the entire day without hearing from you."

My lips curved into a smile. He's protective and perhaps a tad possessive at times, but I know it's because he loves me."Sure. Love you."

"Love you too."He replied before hanging up.

I walked into the coffee shop and the little bell rang over the door to signal another customer. Customers waiting looked in my direction. I wondered if it was something that annoyed the people working here. Having the bell ring every time someone walks in and out would get on my nerves.

I waited in line until it was my turn to order. Knowing how much of a big eater my brother is, I ordered him triple meat breakfast bagel and a muffin to go with his coffee. If he eats before we have our talk he might not be as grumpy.

As I stood waiting for my order I noticed Finley's neighbour look in my direction. She smiled and gave a little wave and I did too.

"Vanessa."The woman behind the counter called with my order ready in hand. When I was done grabbing my order I noticed Finley's neighbour had already left.

I was hoping that I would get a chance to talk with her. I'm eager to know how my brother has been lately without actually having to ask the man himself. I walked out of the coffee shop sipping from my to go cup.

"Vanessa..."I heard my name being called as I walked away from the coffee shop. I turned around to see that Finley's neighbour had been waiting."I figured we're going to the same place so why not walk back together."

"Sure."I smiled and we started our walk back to the apartment.

"I'm Alicia by the way. I think I forgot to tell you my name yesterday when we met."She smiled."So are you staying with Finley for a while?"

"Just last night. It wasn't planned so that explains why I'm wearing yesterday's clothes."I chuckled and Alicia did too."I'm not exactly in Finley's good books at the moment so I think he'll be glad when I'm gone back to San Francisco."

"Oh, Did you have a falling out?"

"Um... something like that."I sipped from my take-out coffee cup."I haven't been around much in the past year or so. My husband and I moved to New York, we got married and tried to start over."