CHAPTER 13: JEREMY

JEREMY

"What's eating you?"I heard a familiar voice say and I turned from looking out the window.

Ollie was standing in the doorway to my office, hands in the pockets of his jeans. The office dress code is supposed to be formal. It's always been this way, yet it's not the first time I've seen him in jeans around here.

It sets a bad impression and he knows it!

At least he's wearing a shirt.

"Nothing."I replied and walked towards my desk. I sat in my chair behind it and started looking through my work from today's business lunch. "What's with the jeans?"

Ollie glanced down at his jeans."What's wrong with them?

"The office is a formal space, it sets a bad impression when you're walking around in casual jeans."I didn't look up from my work. Truthfully I wasn't in the mood for bullshit and I was taking it out on everyone in sight.

Ollie chuckled."You can blame that wife of mine. Natasha likes them when they're tight and cutting off circulation to my crotch. It's like the woman wants me in pain."

"How did you ever live without her."I replied with sarcasm.

"How do any of us."Ollie said. He walked towards my desk and sat down in the seat in front of it. "So what's bothering you? And before you tell me nothing, don't bother. I can tell by your face that something is going on. You have that brooding look."

I reclined back in my chair with a sigh.

I've never been fond of talking about my business. It's not in my nature. Yet, this thing with Vanessa is eating me up inside. I don't like that I left things the way I did last night. I don't like that I left the house this morning without saying goodbye to her like I usually do, or perhaps apologising for my behaviour like I should have.

I should've apologised.

"What's going on with Vanessa?"He asked and I remained silent thinking about my reply. Or if to even reply."Natasha mentioned that you're having trouble getting pregnant. I didn't know that you were trying."

I exhaled a sigh."Why would you? I'm not open to talking about my private life. I never have been."

Ollie chuckled."No kidding. Look, whatever it is it's clearly taking it's toll, the stress is practically leaking out of you. Talk about it or don't talk about it... I guess it's up to you, man."

I stood from my chair and walked towards the drinks table in the corner of the room. I filled up my glass knowing that I shouldn't have one. But I needed it so I had little care."Do you want one?"

"Sure, why the hell not."Ollie replied.

I filled a second glass for him and walked back to my desk. I sat down and moved the scotch glass across the desk towards him.

I was hesitant. I looked down at the glass between my hands wondering if I should say anything at all. Like I said before, it's not in my nature.

"Vanessa and I can't have kids."I started. Ollie looked at me in surprise, he looked like he was unsure of what to say, which would be a first."We got the call when I was away on business. It could happen on its own but it's unlikely that it will."

"Are they sure?"He asked."Maybe you could get a second opinion. You know how these things go. When a woman gets told she can't have kids, she pops out twins 9 months later."

"I don't need a second opinion. We've been to the best. It won't happen for us, there's nothing that we can do to change it."My reply had a hint of anger in my voice. I looked down at my glass again. It was empty and I was craving another.