16. Safehouse

Mitch's P.O.V.

It was 1:48 a.m. on the fourth day of our journey, and we were running away from the squids.

We were all woken up at about 12:16 by the sound of their ink bombs exploding. We immediately grabbed whatever we could and sprinted out into the forest.

Skylox and I ended up losing the others in all the chaos, and unfortunately we didn't pick up any of the backpacks, so for now we were sprinting through the dark.

We stopped behind a large tree to catch our breath. "How did the squids find us?!" Skylox whispered, "We're deep in the eternal forests! Nobody knows their way around here except my family and a few other close friends! How could they track us down?!"

I shook my head. "I don't know..." I whispered back, "but we've been running for a good um.." I paused and searched my brain for the exact amount of time we had been running, "well I don't know anymore! It's been too crazy for the past 92 minutes!"

All of a sudden we heard some rustling coming from the tree we were under. Leaves were shaking as two figures dropped down. I raised my fists and got ready to fight.

An energetic puppy bolted from behind a bush. It was Jerome's dog, Coco...

"Mitch quick! Kiss Jerome!" a high pitched voice said quickly. I lowered my hands as I relized relized that it was Butter. "Jerome?! Butter?" I asked, "Thank Notch you guys found us! I thought you guys were squids and was about to-"

I was cut off by Butter again, "Glad to see you too! But seriously! You guys need to kiss! Hurry!" She whisper yelled at me. I looked at her with a confused look on my face and got a good look at the bacca lying nearly unconscious behind her.

"Jerome?! What happened to you?!" I asked frantically. He mumbled something I couldn't hear and went limp. "Jerome?! Biggums wake up!" I said a little louder as I moved closer to him. "Jerome?.."

"He got hit by an ink bomb! And we saw the person with glowing eyes again!" She said quickly. I looked over at Jerome again. Coco was licking his face in an atempt to wake him up. His breathing was starting to get shaky.

I leaned over and pressed my lips to his, it always seemed to work whenever I got hurt, but this time he stayed unconscious. "Guys! It's not working! What do I do?!" I said desperately after I tried to wake him up a few more times.

Skylox spoke up. "Well, the safe house isn't too far from here! I'd say it would take about two hours to get there if we ran. Do you think we could make it?"

I nodded my head and picked up Jerome. "Yeah, whatever it would take to keep us all safe."

He nodded and began running. I saw Butter follow him and I tried my best to catch up, but it wasn't that easy when you're carrying another person on your back. Thankfully Coco stayed behind with me, probably because I had Jerome, but I was thankful nonetheless.

We continued running through the night. Avoiding any sounds that could've been a squid attack and staying behind trees and boulders when we could. It was exhausting, but we somehow kept going.

-2 hours 23 minutes 59 seconds later-

"Guys, I see it!" Butter yelled as she pointed to a shack on top of a nearby hill. It was rundown and looked like it hadn't been used in years. I stared at it in disbelief. "There's no way that can be the safehouse.." I said.