Chapter two

Today Ruby had called us all over to discuss a plan. Cesar and I were sat on his bed. "I have the binders. Done." He said to us, he was too excited about this.

"This is the idea that we have figured out..." Monse said, they were all talking over each other. Cesar and I looked at each other. "Nobody cares about the binders. That's what you did." Monse said and I looked at Cesar.

"What are they saying?" I asked him and he looked at me then at them.

"I don't know." He said to me before we looked back at them. "Yo! One at a time, we're not following." Cesar said before they all looked at us and went quiet. Ruby put his hand up. We both pointed at him.

"Sorry it's excitement. We've been chewing on this the last two weeks. And it's finally time to move forward with a plan." Ruby said to us, what was he even talking about.

"A plan for what?" Cesar asked him.

"A plan to be better in high school." I said and they all shook their head at me.

"Getting you both out of the gang." Monse said and we both laughed at them before they looked very serious. We looked at them. They were mad.

"You're serious?" He asked them and the three of them nodded in chorus. "Oh, my gosh. No! No, no, no, no. There is no out. You're being naive. Only Y/n can leave because it's different. Once you're jumped in, you can't get out. Unless, you get jumped out and that's not, you know, an option." Cesar said before looking down, I didn't want to think of that other option.

"Why not?" Jamal asked him. And we I didn't know if he was being serious or not.

"Jamal you serious?" I asked him and he nodded, well the answer was going to shock him.

"They beat you till you die." Cesar said to him, I didn't know why Jamal was wearing a neck brace. He had no injury.

"Oh, I see your dilemma." He said to him. Let's just face it no one wanted to see him dead.

"Yeah." Cesar and I said at the same time.

"Death isn't the only option. Ruby?" Monse said before looking at him, what kind of plans had he had.

"So, after copious amounts of research, I've formulated a theory that all great things come in threes: The Holy Trinity, primary colors, Destiny's Child..." Ruby said to us, I had no idea what he was even meaning by any of these. Religion, colors and music. There's no connection.

"D.C. started with four members." Jamal said correcting him but why were they important to this situation.

"But they weren't big until they were three. Which is why there are three common denominators to end any and all hostile situations. I call them the three M's. Money, murder, manipulation." He said before passing the binders out. "No, not that one. They're watermarked." Ruby said before she opened it. I opened my copy and my name was written across it.

"Clearly, murder's off the table. The irony would be too much." Monse said while looking at the index.

"There's no way we can hustle up enough cash with a car wash to make it worth Oscar's while." Ruby said to us, let's face it Cesar was never getting out.

"Unless..." Jamal said in a certain tone.

"Don't think of it." I said to him with a smile.

"Jamal, don't. Please don't say it." Monse said, we knew what was about to come out of his mouth.

"Getting a lot of cash isn't outside the realm of possibility." He said as he walked over to sit in the middle of Cesar and I.

"What are you talking about?" Cesar asked and we all looked at him.