Chapter seven

As times were still going on and Cesar and Olivia were starting off a relationship we were all continuing with our friendship nothing too drastic. We'd be hanging out and we wouldn't let anything happen to us. Nothing bothered us anymore. Of course seeing my friend and my brother kiss it is kind of disgusting but there's not much I could do. I was currently with everyone. And it was going well so far. "This weekend, but I thought he was with them. I don't know." Monse said as she was walking with Ruby.

"Wait, where's Mario? I was hoping to see him." Jamal said, the two of us were holding hands under the table.

"He went with his new bougie girlfriend to Nevada." Ruby said to us and I looked at him.

"Your joking." I said to him, why would he rather go there then come home.

"Instead of coming home." Monse said to him as we started eating.

"He's in the bone zone." Cesar said to us and I shook my head.

"True." We all said to him.

"Can you pass the tres leches?" Olivia asked and Jamal started to pass it over to her.

"Oh, okay." Ruby said to her and Olivia smiled at us.

"My mom makes the best tres leches for my birthday. Guess not this year." She said to us and she had a sad expression on her face.

"Don't say that. Maybe your folks will be home before your birthday." Monse said to her and I looked at her and nodded.

"Exactly, don't lose hope just yet." I said to her with a smile and I had a feeling that wasn't the case.

"In a week? I don't think so." She said to us and we all shared a look with each other. I didn't know it was that soon.

"Wait, your quince is in a week? And you didn't tell us? Mom, Dad, Olivia's quince is in a week!" Ruby shouted at them and this was going to be our big celebration.

"It's not a big deal." She said to us and I couldn't believe what I was hearing.

"What?" Mrs. Martinez asked as she walked in. "Mija, is that true?" She asked Olivia and she hummed in response.

"Olivia, don't worry about a thing. I'm gonna get my shifts covered at work and we'll do it here next Saturday." Mr. Martinez said and we all started cheering this whole celebration would be special.

"Oh, my God!" Mrs. Martinez said happily and we all started talking over each other. We had to discuss everything. After a while I saw that a lot of people had left to go and see Olivia. Apart from Jamal. She'd slipped out and when I saw her she was upset so I joined the hug pile.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to rub salt on the wound." Ruby said to her.

"It's not your fault. I haven't seen my parents in months and I've barely talked to them. It's just a nightmare situation." She said to us and Ruby jumped off the bed to be in front of her.

"Which is why you should have a party!" Ruby shouted, if she wasn't feeling it we shouldn't make her.

"Ruby, she doesn't want to celebrate. Are you even listening?" Monse asked him and I looked at him.

"Because if you were you'd know that she's not up for it. So are you?" I asked him and he looked at me. And then at Monse.

"I am. And what I'm hearing is how important this party is to her mom." Ruby said to us and that wasn't in her best interest.

"I can't do it without her." Olivia said to us and that was why I didn't have a quince. I didn't know what it would be like to celebrate without a mom.

"But that's why you have to. You're not betraying your mom to have a quince if she's not here, but you would be betraying her to not have one because she's not here. Not after all her planning." Ruby said and because I'd that he'd made me think in a complete different way.

"I never thought of it that way." She said to him and maybe he was right.

"Because I'm good at making people understand the right side of an argument." He said to us and I shook my head at him.

"Or annoying them into submission." Monse said to him and I looked at her.

"That might be it." I said to her and she smiled at me.

"So...do you have any idea about what you want?" Ruby asked her and I had a duty. I was looking after Olivia whilst the rest were planning her quince Ruby didn't want me there.

"Why doesn't Ruby want you there?" She asked me and I looked at him.

"Well, you see. I didn't have a quince so he thinks I should be off the team." I said to her and she looked at me. Honestly I didn't mind, Ruby was very much stressed during this time.

"I'm glad that it's not you out there and that your with me." She said to me and that's when I knew that soon the dancing would begin and I need to make a way out of here.

"Y/n, where are you going?" Ruby asked me as I went to go and make a run for the front door.

"I've got a thing with Oscar. I've got to go." I said to him and he nodded at me.

"Well that's probably a good idea. There's not enough people for you." He said to me and that would surely make me feel a lot better. But it doesn't. I was glad I was going. But at the same time I wasn't. My day was spent talking with Spooky and some of it I was just going on the other side of town. That was until Monse called to say about Latrell. If he wasn't safe, I wasn't either. It was like we were a package deal. If one was in danger the other was as well.