¹³ worry

—

NOVEMBER AIR WAS CRISP IN A CITY LIKE CHICAGO, cooling the cities hot energy that it radiated throughout all hours of the evening.

and in one, unfortunate south side house, there lies an overly distressed teenager and a baby that needed more than she could give her.

mila rapidly opened up the cabinets, in desperate need of baby food for her hungry little sister, but there was none, which was typical in her household.

molly was a full fledged accident, her step mom and father never planned to have her, and because of that, they strongly, strongly neglected her.

they took care of her when they felt like it, like being a parent was a choice, they bought groceries and diapers when they also felt like it, but most of the time they were blowing all of their money going on stupid vacations and leaving mila at home with her baby sister on most weekends.

mila always hoped that they'd invest their money into buying a better house and getting out of the south side, but if they did that, there would be no more meaningless spending on vacations.

and they didn't want to give that up.

which left mila with no choice but to give up part of her teenage years and part of her time to assure molly had someone, someone who loved her and took care of her.

molly cried from high chair loudly, panicking mila even more than she already was.

"i know, i know you're hungry" she said in distress from the other side of the kitchen to her infant little sister, but there seriously was nothing in the house for her to eat, causing mila to troubleshoot.

she grabbed a box of mac n cheese, molly didn't eat much solid food but considering the noodles in it were soft, it would have to do.

however mila knew she had to figure something out more longterm, she couldn't leave molly the way that she was, with no food, no care, no money funding her basic needs.

she had to find a way to make money, and she had to do it fast.

and there was one way she knew how.

fifteen year old mila sat at a party that some senior was throwing with a red solo cup attached to her hand, as always, she looked around the party uneasily.

most times she went to parties, she came with finn, but finn was nowhere to be seen.

her ocean blue eyes fell onto nick and sloan, who were laughing like idiots in the corner of the party—-things had began to change from their freshman year.

sloan caddell, someone who used to hardly speak a word if you talked to him, grew about a foot and suddenly became a varsity athlete overnight, which changed his whole persona.