Park

Work was busy and I was occupied but my mind did keep flitting to Laurel. During lunch, Forth swung by for a surprise visit with Laurel. I know he came primarily for me to see her but didn't want to make it so obvious. Everyone cooed over the baby and Laurel has always been so easy around strangers. So, she was open to being carried around.

I watched from my office in the corner as Laurel was the star. Just then Forth came into my office.

"Afternoon Boss. Come in."

"You are messing right?! I'm here as your friend. Not your boss."

I chuckled. "Had lunch?"

"Not yet. How about Laurel? Has she?"

"She has had her feeds plus she tried 1 dab of my porridge earlier. And yes I have eaten too. Brought food for you from home too, courtesy of my mil."

"I'm sorry. Didn't mean to overlook you."

"It's ok. I know Laurel has replaced me."

Just then, that woman came into mind. I walked over from my desk to Forth who was seated in the chair facing me. I perched myself on the table and laid my hand over his.

"You two are important to me. And you two hold very different roles. I'm not replacing anyone ok? I should have checked on you too. I'm sorry na?"

"Hey. I was just messing. Dont worry. I know. " Forth chuckled and stood up, wanting to go bring Laurel over. I know he wasn't being serious but I didn't want him to feel neglected. It was easy to feel so. I stood up and then went out to see and play with Laurel. She cooed abit when she saw me and everyone went awwww. I just glared at them who scuttled away immediately. Laurel who caught my glare for the first time ever, didn't cry. Rather she chuckled! Everyone heard that and snickered softly.

This girl! She could undo all of my cool image! Forth hung around abit more before promising to bring her around another day. Everyone nodded enthusiastically and stepped up to say bye to her. I just watched and then walked them down.

Once we were down, before Forth got into the car, I took Laurel from him and kissed her goodbye. "I see you later after work ok?".

Forth just smiled. I then looked at him and muttered, "I will buy your favorite snack on the way ok? So wait for me na?"

I saw a very quick smile flit over Forth's face before it disappeared. He nodded, his face reddening and then he took Laurel and they got into the car.

Once work was over, I bought Forth's favorite snacks and went over. Laurel was with her grandparents in the hall playing but they told me Forth was in the room working for a bit. I nodded, kissed Laurel hello and said I will go check on Forth. Ning's mom nodded at me and Ning's dad just uttered this, "It's good to also spend time with him. Thank you for this.".

I smiled and went up, leaving my work bag in the hall. I went into Forth's room which was open. Boy had his working glasses on and busy perusing some documents. I went up quietly and tapped him. He turned around and was surprised to see me!

"Hey! Why didn't you just give me a heads up? Let me wrap this up."

"It's ok. Do your work. Just finish it up."

"Okays. Laurel is downstairs. You can go be with her la. I will come down soon."

"Let me be here for a while. Her grandparents are entertaining her and she's ignorant to me. I bought your favorite mochi. Have it before it turns cold."

"Soon. Let me wrap this up." Forth muttered, his attention back on the document again. I sighed softly. I opened the box of mochi, speared one and fed him. He was used to me doing this and vice versa in uni whenever we were really busy with lab work. He ate quietly as he did his work.

Just as he wrapped up the work, his mochi was all finished too. There was a spot of sugar near his mouth so I leaned in to clean it off for him. Our proximity didn't strike me until I saw his face reddening then I realized. I pulled back, apologetic. Forth just nodded his head and we stood up. Just then my phone rang. I groaned when I realized it was work again. He smiled at me and slung his hand over me as we went back down, I was completely consumed by the call.

We walked down and I sat on the couch, still busy on the phone settling some stuff. Forth carried Laurel and sat next to me, watching TV. It was a call of over an hour plus and midway I got so tired, I just leaned my head on his shoulders. Forth automatically pulled me in, supporting me on his right shoulder with his right arm around me whilst carrying Laurel with his left arm.

We didn't realize then but once again we came into purview of Ning's parents who were able to see what we were clearly blind to, that we made up such a perfect family of 3.