Chapter 18

After dismissing Karin, Tsunade followed Koharu to discuss an important matter.  They went to one of the rooms inside the Hokage mansion where Homura, another member of the Leaf Council, and Shizune were waiting. Tsunade took her seat on the couch opposite Koharu and Homura as she knew this wasn't going to be a friendly chat.

Tsunade: So what did you want to talk about? Since both of you, advisors, are here, I assume this isn't a social visit.

Homura: Now that you mention it.

Koharu: Shizune recently paid us a visit recently seeking our advice on something.

This caught her attention as she looked at Shizune who nervously looked away. She took a deep breath before looking at them.

Tsunade: What is this all about?

Koharu: It's Naruto Uzumaki.

Homura: Henceforth, regarding Naruto, he must not be dispatched on missions that might bring him into contact with the Akatsuki or the Five Tiger Flames.

Tsunade remained silent upon hearing this.

Koharu: Can you understand our reasoning?

Tsunade: Yeah. I've been hearing about it from Shizune ad nauseam.

Homura: Well then, find two accomplish shinobi. They will remain at Naruto's side at all times. Not only will this protect him, but it will also restore team Kakashi to the requisite four men.

Koharu: Furthermore, you should decrease the number of missions you assign to Naruto as much as possible and limit the scope of his responsibilities.

Homura: That is all. Understood?

Tsunade remained silent as this only annoy her even more.

Tsunade: If Shizune had come to beg for your intervention, then you should already know what my answer is going to be. Said before taking a moment. Impossible.

Homura remained silent for a moment before giving a disappointed sigh.

Koharu: Tsunade, Naruto isn't just an ordinary child. He is a jinchurki.

Homura: Normally we would never send him outside the village and keep him under surveillance at all times. So you see, we're offering a compromise.

Tsunade: Well I'm in favor of using the four-man squad model for his team but you cannot impose any more restrictions on him.  So long as Naruto remains in one place, the Leaf is in danger. Sooner or later, the Akatsuki will come after him. In the Hidden Sand Village incident, they headed straight for the Jinchurki, Gaara, even though he was supposedly in the safest location in the village. And if they come after Naruto, you can bet they'll just be as brutal as they were then. At the end of the day, that would put the Leaf in danger as well.

Homura and Koharu remained silent as Tsunade continued to speak.

Tsunade: However, if Naruto stays on the move, the enemy will have a tough time figuring out what he's up to and how to get him. Let's not forget he is a boy with talent. He's a fine ninja and a great asset to the Leaf.

Homura: Hmph. I expect more from you, Tsunade. You call yourself Hokage?

Tsunade: Look, I'm trying to find a compromise here to damn it!! Slamming her foot down.

Homura: Correct me if I'm wrong, but you can't insure that Naruto will be taken by the Akatsuki!! And if they do get control of the Nine-Tails, tell me what guarantee you can make, that such a horrific will never come to pass!!!