Chapter 2

Natasha left her house quietly, trying not to disturb her younger sister, Yelena, who was still asleep.

Natasha was ten and Yelena was six when their parents died protecting them from a man named Dreykov. The family was on vacation when his crew broke into their hotel room. Their mother, Melina, told Natasha to take Yelena and run. A few days later she found out what happened in a newspaper. She had been taking care of her sister ever since.

The two girls found sanctuary in the small town they resided in. When they met Nick Fury, a shop owner, he took them under his wing until they were able to live on their own.

The problem was that the town was very poor, underpopulated, and didn't attract many tourists, which made living there extremely difficult.

The girls were on the verge of going broke because they didn't get paid enough. Part of Natasha's check went to an emergency jar that had been used more than once, but most of her pay went to rent for the house and bills. Yelena worked at the school. Her pay went to the groceries and half of the bills. They would both take a second job, but none of them were flexible with their schedules.

As she continued to walk, the red-headed woman kept checking her surroundings and fiddled with the knife at her side. She had been on alert since the day she had to take her sister and run. No one had been able to find them, but that didn't mean they were safe from Dreykov, who was still alive.

She relaxed a bit once she reached the town's shops, which is also the busiest area. And of course, people stared once they saw her.

Natasha was well aware of what everyone in the town said behind her back. They all thought she was strange because she fought, carried a knife, and looked intimidating. It didn't help that when she first arrived as a ten-year-old, she had blue hair.

Fury, Laura Barton, and Maria Hill were the only ones who understood her, and they always had her back.

When Natasha reached her destination, she went inside and looked around for Laura. Her friend ran a small restaurant and it was the most popular one in town. It was small and had enough seats at the bar, but only a few tables. The staff consisted of four chefs, including Laura, and five waiters. They all met Laura's expectations. She was a tough but gentle boss who had the respect of her employees.

"Nat," a voice called from behind her.

She turned around and saw Laura coming inside, but the woman looked distraught.

"What's wrong," Natasha asked.

"Ross is raising the prices on everything, from groceries to rent. I'll have to let go of two of my people because I won't be able to pay them. I just found out from Fury and we both thought you needed to know."

Natasha sighed then said, "Thank you. I should get to work so I still have a job tomorrow."

Oh, wait!" Laura ran to the kitchen in the back and then came back a minute later with five large cartons of food. "This should last you two for at least a month."

Natasha shook her head. "Laura, no. You have done too much already, and with everything-"

Nat," Laura interrupted. "This is a friend helping a friend, just like I've always done. And don't try to pay me this time! I saw you sneak a few extra dollars into my purse a few weeks ago. When Sharon comes in, I'm going to have her deliver this to your house before Yelena leaves."

"You're a great friend. You know that, right?"

"Not as good as you."

Natasha hugged the woman, then left the restaurant.

Natasha was the first to welcome Laura into town when the brunette moved in and opened the restaurant. Natasha worked part-time as a waitress for the first few months and recruited Hill to help too, while Yelena was the hostess. Laura instantly loved Yelena like another sister and fed the girls for free insisting that it was the only way to pay them.

Hill and Natasha were unable to keep helping when their full-time jobs promoted them, which meant more hours. Yelena continued to work with Laura until she got a job as a secretary at the school.

However, Laura still made sure that Natasha and Yelena had food in the refrigerator. They liked to call her their "Mother Hen."

When Natasha reached the bookstore, she was greeted by her coworker, and fellow redhead, Wanda Maximoff.

"Hey, Nat."

"Hey, Wanda."

"Romanoff," a voice behind her called.

She turned around and saw her, boss Alexander Peirce walk towards her. The sandy-haired man was always rude and would get onto her for the smallest details.

"I'm not late," she said.

"I know, but you're not early either."

Natasha prepared herself for a lecture, knowing it would be a long day.