Chapter 31

Fury came by close to 8:30 a.m. and they finished packing and moving everything by noon. Everyone helped get the boxes to Laura's place, which was only a few trips per person since the sisters didn't own a lot. The furniture was another story, but Fury offered to store it at his place since he had room.

By the time Natasha had put the last box at Laura's place, she was exhausted. From leaving the castle, to coming home, then straight to moving out made her want to sleep for days.

Yelena came up to her and said, "Well, at least we're not completely homeless."

"Do I still have my job," Natasha asked.

"No. Peirce told me you were fired two days after you were trapped. I told him you were stuck in that castle but- "

"Wait. Yelena how many people did you tell," Natasha asked, her voice a bit stern.

"Everyone knows."

"Yelena!"

"I thought maybe they could help," Yelena said. "Also, it's a small town. Word spread fast."

Natasha knew her sister's heart was in the right place, but this would make her sister look bad and the town had deemed them as outcasts long ago.

"No one in this town is going to help us," she said in a calm voice. "Did anyone tell Ross about the castle?"

Yelena nodded then said, "John Walker was making fun of me then told Blonski, who told Ross. After that Ross evicted us."

Ross purposely targeted her sister, knowing she wouldn't be able to pay taxes or rent, but something else was nagging at her. "What's that man planning," she asked herself.

The door opened and Laura entered, telling them there would be a town meeting before nightfall.

____

At the meeting all eyes were on Natasha when she entered the building.

"Hey Romanoff, how was the castle," Walker asked in a mocking tone.

"Shut up, Walker," Sam Wilson said, then addressed her, "Hey Natasha."

"Hey Sam," she replied while sitting next to Fury, Yelena on her other side.

Sam was one of the few people who had been nice to her while they were growing up. He was in the army then became a therapist when he came home, but he only came to town to see his sister and her kids.

Ross took his place on the podium and everyone in the room went silent.

"As many of you know, we are about to have a new resident. Please welcome Dreykov."

Natasha and Yelena's heads snapped up, but they showed no emotion. Natasha tried to keep herself calm as the man rose from his seat and put his hand up waving.

She turned her attention back to Ross as he continued, "And a welcome back to Natasha Romanoff."

Natasha looked toward Dreykov, who was already looking directly at her like he had hit the jackpot. She turned her attention back to the man on the stage, but her heart was pounding in her chest knowing her parents' killer found her and Yelena.

Natasha knew Ross had likely been paid by Dreykov to give him their whereabouts. That's when she knew that Ross wasn't just greedy, he was evil.

"Tell us Romanoff, how was the winter weather and castle," Ross asked with no emotion.

This time she flipped him off to his face and cursed at him in Russian. Some people gasped, Scott Lang and Peter Quill were cracking up, and Valentina looked like she had heard the latest gossip.

Ross, however, was not amused. "You want to try that again?"

She put up her second hand to give him the finger.

"If I might interrupt," Dreykov said while standing. "I would be glad to take her and her sister off of your hands. Has anyone ever heard of the Red Room?"

Natasha began to sweat under her clothes, and she could hear Yelena take deep breaths. The women in the meeting gasped, and Ross showed no emotion.

The Red Room was well known for being the place of nightmares. They took girls of all ages and made them into weapons. Natasha's mother was the only one to escape.

Natasha kept her eyes on Dreykov who looked her in the eyes and said, "Did you really think I wouldn't find you?"

Suddenly there was a gunshot and Dreykov was on the ground. Natasha turned to the seat next to her and saw Yelena standing with her gun drawn and breathing heavily.

Ross didn't seem to care and continued the meeting as if nothing happened. "Boys, take Romanoff and her sister to the car. The police can deal with them."

"What?" Yelena exclaimed.

"Ross, don't you think that's a bit extreme? I mean it was self-defense," Bucky Barnes said from his spot.

Soon the whole town was talking over each other, and all Natasha could do was sit in silence as she mulled over what just happened. She was free. He was dead.

Natasha was brought back to reality when she heard Ross shout over everyone, "She has been acting delusional and just shot a man, Romanoff won't say where she really was, so what do you all suggest? There is no giant castle in the middle of this town!"

"Yes, there is," Natasha said breaking her silence.

"Well, I don't see it," Ross snapped.

"It's enchanted you jerk," Natasha snapped back.

"Oh please," she heard him mumble. "And this green monster? Is that real too?"

"Yes," Natasha said.

"It's true," a voice spoke up. Then a giant mist of purple showed the castle and Bruce turning into the Hulk.

The look on Ross' face was one Natsha had never seen before. He looked like he could kill someone on the spot.