Chapter 13

When the wolf came closer, more started to appear. It was a pack and Natasha couldn't save herself and the dog, so she picked up a tree branch that was on the ground.

While she was frantically looking around and began moving backwards, she couldn't help but notice the snow was still the same height as it was when she had arrived. It was as if there had never been a storm. But she couldn't allow herself to get sidetracked.

"Fanny, get help," Natasha said without thinking and let the leash go, knowing she would obey her command. The dog ran straight toward the castle.

When Fanny took off, the wolves chased after her. They were fast, but Natasha swung the branch, scaring the leader away a few feet. The rest of the pack was getting closer and she knew it wouldn't be long until she was completely surrounded.

Then she heard a roar. She looked up and saw a big, green, thing jump from a window and land in front of her.

All Natasha could see was that his green, back was huge.

"Hulk," she thought.

Hulk roared again scaring the wolves and making them back up a bit more.

She heard the door open behind her and saw Tony flying in his suit with Steve, Clint, and Thor hot on his heels.

Her eyes followed the group as Thor scared the wolves away with a bolt of lightning, Clint was prepared with a bow and arrow next to the big guy and Steve was throwing his shield against a tree to try and distract the pack.

Clint turned his head and told her to run. She headed back toward the castle, but the stairs were icier than she thought and she slipped forward on them, landing on her ankle, and slid the last few steps onto the snow.

Natasha heard a loud roar and then the boys sighed in relief.

She closed her eyes and gritted her teeth in pain. She turned to the group to call for help and saw the big guy right in front of her. She looked up to meet his eyes, expecting Bruce's green but instead met a warm, dark brown pair. He looked concerned, almost like Bruce when he would occasionally check up on her.

She looked around and saw the team looking at her. The wolves were gone.

"Hey, big guy," she said to Hulk as she put her hand up. He mimicked the gesture and Natasha put her palm down as if telling him it was okay to touch her. He put his giant hand in hers and looked into her eyes.

Then he scrambled away, and she saw him shrink and go from green to his normal self. Once he was human again, he breathed heavily and collapsed on the ground. His pants were shredded and Natasha thought Bruce would pass out from exhaustion.

Tony ran up to him and gave him a pair of fresh pants and a long-sleeved grey shirt. Then he created a barrier with his suit to give Bruce some privacy.

"What the heck was that," Tony asked, his attention on Natasha.

"I don't know," she replied, knowing that he was referencing the hand thing.

"Looks like Natasha just gave the Hulk a lullaby to put him to sleep," Clint said.

"Could be useful," Steve addressed the others.

Clint put his hands up while saying, "No, I'm not learning how to do that! Make Tony do it."

"I was looking forward to a good fight," Thor mumbled, clearly upset he could put Hulk to sleep by knocking him out.The guys had told her that was a surefire way to de-hulk him when there was an accident.

While the boys continued talking, overlapping over the other, Natasha saw Bruce step away from the barrier. She noticed his eye were green again. He walked faster when he made eye contact and kneeled when he reached her.

"Are you okay," he asked.

"I don't know. The stairs were icier than I thought, and I hurt my ankle."

Bruce nodded and picked her up bridal style, Natasha was about to protest until Bruce gave her a stern glace. She glared right back. She hated feeling helpless.

"Tony, can you get the med bay ready?"

"Yep," the man exclaimed as he went back inside.

_______________________________________

If there was one thing Natasha hated more than feeling helpless, it was people crowding around her.

"Guys, can you give us a minute," Bruce asked as he put his glasses on and looked at Natasha's swollen ankle.

When he touched a tender spot, she cursed in Russian.

"Here bite on this," he said calmly while handing her a towel. "You looked uncomfortable with everyone here."

"I hate feeling helpless and I don't like being crowded," she mumbled the best she could.

"I understand." He winced as she started swearing in her native tongue again. "Your ankle is definitely sprained. It'll take at least three to five weeks to heal."

"Three to five weeks," she exclaimed, the towel still in her mouth.

He held out a hand and gently took the towel from her, "Yep and you'll need to rest it for a while."

"No, I can't be off of my foot for that long. Peirce will fire me, if he hasn't already."

"Sorry, doctor's orders," he said while washing his hands. He took off his glasses, folded them and put them on the table. "If you're that worried about your job..."

"It's not my job that I'm worried about, it's Yelena. She can't do it all on her own. We're barely making ends meet. Taxes just shot up a few weeks ago and now we're scrambling."

"Is the whole town having issues?"

"Yeah, but most won't say anything. The guy who runs our town, Ross, is well respected just because he was in the military and stepped up when no one else would."

"Geez," he whispered as he ran his hands into his hair, making it messier than it already was.

"Yeah, it's not a fun place to live in."

"Why haven't you moved," the concern evident in his voice when he asked.

She hesitated before answering. "The man responsible for my parents' deaths is still out there. I can't take a risk when we're seemingly safe for now. Thank you, by the way. For saving me."

"You're welcome."

He looked like he wanted to say something else, but Thor barged in. "Banner, there's another storm."

"What," Natasha exclaimed.

Bruce looked defeated as he asked Thor, "What type of storm?"

"Ice and I saw lightning."

Just as Thor finished the sentence, a huge clap of thunder was heard all around the castle.