Chapter 5

Fanny had led them into the woods that were close to their neighborhood.

"What was Yelena doing in the forest," Natasha thought.

It felt like they had been walking for a long time, and she didn't know what time it was because her watch had broken earlier that day. She rushed to pack a bag and left the phone in its charger. It was still light out, signaling it was still evening. 

In the distance, she could see snow, but it was the beginning of May.

"What the...," Natasha mumbled.

Fanny began to pick up speed, heading towards the wintery area, and Natasha had to jog to keep up with her. She didn't know how long she would be outside and was glad she thought to wear a zipper jacket over her shirt with her jeans and tennis shoes she had been wearing all day.

As soon as their feet hit the snow, the light vanished, then everything surrounding them was white. The snow quickly became deep, causing the two to slow down. Natasha looked behind her and couldn't see where she had just come from, but her primary focus was Yelena, so she looked ahead and followed Fanny's lead.

As they continued walking, the woman had never been more thankful for her Russian blood. Even though her family had moved from the country when she was young, she was still used to the cold.

The dog eventually stopped when they reached a gate. Fanny whined and turned to signal she had found Yelena. Natasha scratched her pet behind the ears.

"Good girl, Fanny."

Natasha was going to try and break in, but when she inspected the gate and pulled on the bar to test how sturdy it was, she was surprised to find out it was unlocked. She kept the dog close to her as she opened and closed the door.

She walked closer to the entrance to a huge castle. A snow-covered staircase led to the door, gargoyles were on the white roof, and the windows were fogged from the cold. It was beautiful but eerie.

When she got closer, Natasha tried to figure out the best way inside. The windows and balconies were too high, and nothing in sight would help her get up there. She realized that she would have to open the door without anyone noticing. She quietly walked up the staircase to the door, Fanny beside her.

Natasha checked the large wooden object for any traps or alarms. Once she was sure it was safe to enter, she opened the door as quietly and quickly as possible. When she closed it behind her, the pair was met with silence. She noticed Fanny's ears perk up then the two took off running, with Fanny leading them toward a staircase.

The staircase led to several hallways. Fanny stopped at the last one and led them into a dark and creepy-looking hallway with weird-looking, green gates for doors. It looked like a dungeon. When they stopped in front of a cell, Natasha looked inside to see Yelena sleeping in the corner. The poor dog yipped to get her attention, which woke her up. Natasha was relieved her sister was okay.

The younger girl stood up and ran to the door. "You need to get out," she whispered in a terrified voice. "Now, before he finds you."

"Who," Natasha asked in a low voice.

She heard the dog growl, and Natasha looked up to see a man in the hallway's entrance.