Chapter 10

Once they were back indoors, Natasha gave him back the blanket. Bruce folded it, then put it on the chair near the door. She accepted his offer to show her around.

"I've lived in the town not too far from her for nearly 20 years. Why haven't I seen or heard of this place?"

"The palace can't be seen by the outside world. Everyone who once remembered forgot as soon as the enchantment was cast."

"How long have you guys been cursed," she asked.

"To be honest, I've lost track of how long it's been, but it feels like forever. Time here has stood completely still. Even the weather is the same."

"That explains the snow but not the blizzard. There was snow when I arrived, but no blizzard. If time stood still then the weather shouldn't change like that."

"That's more complicated," the man replied but seemed impressed by her observation. "So, can I ask you something," he asked, fiddling with his hands as they walked up the stairs.

"Sure."

"I noticed your sister has an accent, but you don't. Where are you two from?"

"We were born in Russia and moved when I was young. Yelena kept her accent while I let mine fade. It comes out when I speak Russian."

"What do you and your sister do for a living?"

"I work at a bookstore, and Yelena is a secretary at the school. She currently has a part-time job with Fury, and she's going to work as a secretary for the town's daycare over the summer."

"Do you like to read, or is the bookstore just a job?"

"I enjoy reading when I have time, but if I had to choose, I would want a better profession."

"What do you want to do?"

"Something where I can use my skills with technology and combat."

While they continued to walk, Natasha couldn't help but wonder what it was about him that made her want to open up.

"Banner," a voice called behind them.

She turned around to see Tony jogging up the stairs. The man had food all over his face.

"What happened to you," she asked.

"Kitchen explosion," he replied.

"Another one, Tony," Bruce asked as if this was a regular occurrence.

"You left us unsupervised, and Pepper is with Morgan," he said, then turned to Natasha. "Can I talk to you for a minute?"

"Sure," she replied.

"I'll go and see what the damage is this time," Bruce said as he walked down the stairs. He turned to look back at her, and she waved at him, then turned her attention to Tony, who was getting a rag out of his pocket.

"I am so sorry about your sister. I was preoccupied with Bruce, and I was so wiped out that I forgot to check our Hulk-proof cages right after I found him," Tony said as he cleaned his face.

"Hulk-proof cages?"

"Those cages are the only ones that Hulk can't break into. I found your sister and the dog near the castle. He was really angry that night, and I did the only thing I could think of: get her out of his sight. He must have seen her at some point and snuck inside before de-hulking because we found Bruce passed out, sitting on the stairs on the second floor. You arrived about two hours later. Lately, he's remained in Hulk form for longer periods during the day, but the giant knows how to hide when he wants to."

"Thank you for keeping her safe," she said with a newfound respect for Tony.

"You're welcome."

"Bruce told me that he wasn't a good person before all of this happened, and that's why he's cursed," Natasha said, hoping for another point of view.

"It's true," Tony scoffed. "But after everything, he started to change. The person you see right now is a completely different person compared to the Bruce we once knew. At least something good came out of all of this."

"And the Hulk? What about him?"

"He's just angry. Seven to eight feet of mean, lean, green machine. By the way, you and your sister are skilled fighters. We could use you two on our 'team.'"

"No, thanks," Natasha scoffed.

She wondered if the people here were as trapped as she was. Could they even leave?