Chapter 23

Natasha decided to stay in her room the day after the ground blizzard hit.

She knew it was rude to be selfish when this affected them more than it did her, but she couldn't help her emotions. She missed Yelena, Laura, Hill and Fury.

Fanny stayed on the bed with her, even though the door was open. Natasha pets the dog's head that was resting on her leg as the redhead sat up, propping her back on the pillows.

"Nat?"

Natasha lifted her head to see Bruce at the doorway. He walked toward the bed and sat on the edge.

"I'm not really hungry right now," she said.

He nodded and said, "Okay. Do you want any company?"

She nodded, knowing that Bruce wouldn't push her to talk.

When he sat on the bed between her and Fanny, she broke the silence after a few minutes. "I'm sorry. I know this more difficult for you than it is for me."

"You're allowed to be upset. I know how much you miss your sister."

More tears sprung to her eyes, and she let them fall knowing that Bruce wouldn't judge her for it. It was easy to let her guard down in front of him and she had only let very few people see this side of her.

"Can I hug you," he asked.

She nodded and hugged him to her once his arms were around her. It was that moment she realized how safe she felt with him.

Bruce stayed with her all day, only leaving to get her food, which he made sure she ate as they talked about their lives. Talking to Bruce was like talking to one of her best friends. They could discuss everything and nothing. He was one of few people who could make her laugh or smile on her bad days.

"Where do you see yourself in a few years," he asked.

"I don't know," she answered with a small smirk. "Hopefully with a roof over my head."

"So, you don't see yourself getting married or...?"

"I mean, if I ever meet the right guy, but I don't know. No one seems to understand how hard it is that I can't have kids or understand why I stayed in therapy the entire time I was in school. I grew up fast and I'm still constantly looking over my shoulder. I have a knife at my side as a security blanket and weapon of choice. After Matt, I just put my walls up in fear that I would get hurt again. I have a friend named Sam, who's a therapist, and he understands all of it. He once helped me find another professional to confide in, but I didn't go as often as I wanted to."

"Why not?"

"Work and bills."

"I'm sure you've thought about it, but would you ever quit and find another job?"

"I've tried, but no one wants to hire me for computer work because my background has been retail and waitressing, and they're always looking for someone with experience in the required field. What about you? If you get out of here, would you continue ruling?"

Bruce shook his head and said, "I'm not sure the kingdom needs a ruler anymore. Truth is, I'd rather be a scientist. What about Yelena? Does she like the town?"

"I think she'd move if given the opportunity. She's only stayed because we can't quit our jobs, or we would lose the house. She wants a job that will let her travel, but she chooses to stay despite me telling her that she should find a job that she's passionate about while she's still several years out of college. She's only 27."

"And you're 31," he shrugged. "You still have time too. Don't let your age or experience with your current jobs get you down and keep you from doing what you really want to do."

"Thanks," she said softly while smiling a bit because he believed in her enough.

"Would you ever leave town?"

"Unless Yelena and I were in danger, no. My family's there."

They talked for the rest of the evening playing 20 Questions and getting to know each other better. Eventually she fell asleep with her head on his chest.

Natasha woke up in the middle of the night to see that he had stayed and had an arm around her. She shook him awake and moved to sit up so he could remove his arm from its spot.

When he woke up and looked at her, his gaze was soft. She didn't know who made the first move, but their lips met for a few seconds.

Once they parted, Natasha was conflicted. But she was drawn to him like a moth to a flame and grabbed his shirt to pull him toward her.

Their lips met again, and Bruce cupped her face with his hands. The kiss deepened and-

Natasha woke up with a start.

She looked around to see that Bruce was still in her room, but asleep and on his side, his back facing her. She woke him up without looking at him.

"Are you okay," he asked a few seconds later, sleep and concern laced in his voice.

She nodded and looked at Fanny, who was asleep on the floor.

"Um, I'll just go," she heard him say. She glanced at him when he was at the door, and he looked back at her he smiled in his usual friendly way.

Once he left, she flopped on her back. "It was just a dream."

But she couldn't get it out of her head, and them more she thought about it, the more conflicted she was.

Note: Peeks out head from under my desk. Yes the kiss was a dream. Ducks head back under my desk.