Chapter 20

The last few days were difficult for Natasha. She had been missing home, so she would find herself talking to Bruce who always listened and seemed to care about what she said. However, she didn't allow herself to think about his feelings for her, fearing it would make things awkward.

Usually, he was happy to see her, but today he seemed off and quiet.

"Are you okay," she asked him.

He shrugged and said, "Not really. Another petal fell."

"I didn't notice anything."

"It's colder outside. I noticed when I took out Fanny for you."

He seemed angry and upset, but he wouldn't meet her gaze which wasn't like him when they were talking. She put her hand on his shoulder so he would look her in the eyes and was met with sadness and what seemed like a weight on his shoulders.

"It'll be okay," she whispered, trying to reassure him.

"What's going to happen to everyone," he asked, his voice cracking and tears falling from his face. This was the first time she had seen him this upset and emotional about the spell.

"Do you know how much time is left," she asked, curious.

"Not much."

Natasha hugged him to her and let him cry on her shoulder. He needed a friend and that's what she was.

"It'll be okay," she whispered again, hoping that her words were true.

________

That afternoon on her way to the library, she forced herself to sit down when her good foot began to get tired. She saw Tony and Pepper in a deep conversation and couldn't help but overhear because she was so close, but they didn't seem to know she was around the corner.

"I'm really worried, Tony," Pepper said.

"I know. I am too," he replied.

"Do you think there's a chance that this curse can be broken?"

"At first I thought there was, but... I don't know Pep. I'm worried about him. I worried about Morgan and how much time we have with her, but I'm also worried about you."

Natasha wished she could help them. The people in this castle didn't deserve their fate, Tony, Pepper and Morgan especially.

"Hey guys," she heard Steve say, then he became visible as he walked up to them.

"Hey Steve," Pepper said.

Steve sighed heavily. "What are we gonna do? Bruce is more worried than usual. I've never seen him like this."

Tony spoke up, "Yeah, he's having a hard time. I think he's almost there on his part but-"

"Wait, really?" Steve interrupted, his voice laced with hope.

"Yeah, he's so close, but I don't know if s-"

"Daddy," Morgan ran to the trio. "Uncle Thor broke another plate."

The redhead watched as everyone left the area, and she headed toward the library.

An hour later she took the book she was reading into her room, knowing Bruce wouldn't mind. On her way there she walked past the lab to see Bruce and Tony in deep conversation.

When Bruce turns his head as she walks past, she waves and gives him a small smile and he does the same. His face appeared happier than before, but his eyes gave him away. They were full of sadness and isolation.

He said something to Tony and walked toward her. This time she didn't protest as he scooped her into his arms and carried her up the stairs.

Once she was in her room and Bruce went back to the lab, Natasha began to feel a bit lonely. The palace was suddenly too big and the silence was deafening.

"How have these people survived here for 200 years?" she thought to herself, knowing if she didn't have her dog, she would go crazy being alone in this room.