t w e l v e

time heist

"Alright, we have a plan."

Tony and Bruce handed everyone their quantum suit, each already equipped with two lots of Pym particles for one trip there and one trip back.

"Six stones, three teams, one shot."

You attached the suit to your belt, pressing a button on the attachment that caused it to unravel over your body, fitting snugly over your jacket.

"Five years ago, we lost. All of us."

The group was gathered on the time machine, while Bruce was standing by the control panel, each of them wearing a suit identical to yours.

"We lost friends. We lost family. We lost a part of ourselves."

Steve spoke while the rest of you shared glances of nervousness and excitement. You clutched the shrunken Benatar in your hand, the anxiety from the night before bubbling back up your throat.

"Today, we have a chance to take it all back. You know your teams, you know your missions. Get the stones, get them back. One round-trip each. No mistakes. No do-overs. Most of us are going somewhere we know. But it doesn't mean we should know what to expect. Be careful. Look out for each other. This is the fight of our lives. And we're gonna win." Tony and Steve shared a look, smirks apparent on their faces. "Whatever it takes. Good luck."

"He's pretty good at that," Rocket commented, face tilting upward toward Scott on his left.

"Right?"

"Alright, you heard the man. Stroke those keys, Jolly Green."

You took a deep breath, continuing to fiddle with the tiny spaceship in your palm. Were you ready? The answer was simple: no. You were dreading what was to come and what was to go wrong. You were terrified of losing again, of losing him again. But you had no choice. It's all part of the job.

"Trackers engaged."

"Make sure you bring that back in one piece, kid."

You glanced up toward Rocket whose attention was directed toward the Benatar in your hand. "Yeah, of course," you waved him off, closing your fist around the minuscule object and allowing your hand to drop to your side. Rocket tutted before averting his focus to Bruce who had joined you on the platform.

A tune of beeps sounded after Bruce hit the activation on his wrist, causing your body to unconsciously tense up. "See ya in a minute." Nat smiled her angelic smile and for a split second, a feeling of calm washed away all of your fears and worries. That was until the platform started moving and your helmet automatically unfolded over your head. You stared at the floor as the time machine activated, bracing yourself for the moment you shrunk into it.

You squeezed your eyes shut when you were met with a bright white light. The sensation was strange like your entire body had caved in on itself. After a few seconds, your body began to adjust to the feeling, allowing you to open your eyes one by one, finding yourself flying. Even the sense of weightlessness nearly sent you into a state of panic right there and then until you remembered your objective. You carefully looked around what you realized to be the quantum realm and you spotted the rest of the group not far from you. You quickly examined them.

Nebula... Natasha... Clint... Rhodey!

Much like you, Rhodey had worn his own helmet instead of the one built into the quantum suit, meaning it wasn't hard to spot him out of the crowd. He began veering toward a turn with three other people, to which you followed, splitting up from the group. It wasn't long before your vision was disturbed by another flash of light, causing your hand to subconsciously find its way in front of your face, shielding your eyes.