s e v e n t e e n

peter's aunt may

"We're here. Pete, are you ready?"

It had been two months since the party, and another event to honor the lost was being held. This time, it was being held by May, who volunteered at F.E.A.S.T, a shelter set up to help the homeless people across New York. Spider-Man was expected to give a speech, meaning you were being dragged along as moral support. "No. No. May, do I really have to do this?"

"It's what the people want. And correct me if I'm wrong but this is primarily for the people."

"Well, surely I should get some sort of say in this."

"I thought you wanted to do this! You agreed to it when I asked you last week. Y/N, back me up."

"Please, don't bring me into this."

Peter sighed, his head falling into his hands as he rubbed his eyes in frustration. Your heart panged at the sight of him in such distress. He was your usual anxious teen with an extra ton of responsibility weighing on his shoulders. You were both so lucky that you were about to get a week away from all this. You wanted to help him, but this was a job that could only be done by Spider-Man. Unless...

"I can go up with you."

Peter rotated his head toward you with a frown tugging at his lips, resting his right cheek on his hands. "No, I don't want you having to go through this as well."

"It can't be that bad if we're doing it together."

"Exactly! You should join us, Y/N!" May tilted her body, leaning her elbow on the back of the seat to look at the two of you. "It could be fun! The three of us chit-chatting about the billions of people who died."

"On second thought-"

"C'mon, it starts in five minutes." May hurried out of the car, her sleeveless black and green dress nearly getting caught on the door.

"Holy fuck," Peter breathed, wrapping his arms around his stomach in an attempt to calm down the bile bubbling within it.

"Hey." You placed a hand on his tense shoulder, gliding your thumb back and forth softly. "It'll be fine, okay? It'll only last a few minutes and May will do most of the talking."

"Yeah, you're right." He knitted his eyebrows together, sitting up straight with a deep breath. "Come on, Spider-Man. You can do this," he muttered, causing a smile to rise upon your face.

"Alright, let's go." You left the car, briskly walking over to the back entrance of the building that May had already gone through. As soon as you entered, you could hear the mixture of conversations and ran past May toward the curtain. You peeked out to take a look at the audience and froze. Okay, that is a lot more than I thought.

A reassuring pat on your back made you turn toward Peter and May who were preparing themselves for the speech. I can't do this. Your breath got stuck in your throat. That's too many. Your fingers pulled against the skin of your palm in a tacky bond. They'll all be looking at me. "Are you guys ready?" May asked, shaking her arms about to loosen the muscles.

"Yep. Let's just get this over with."

I am not ready for this.

"Actually," you began, a sudden wave of self-consciousness overwhelming you when both pairs of eyes turned toward you, "you guys have fun. I'm gonna go sit in the audience."

"What-"

"Okay, bye!"

You quickly ran out to avoid Peter's complaints, slipping out of backstage and standing around the side of the audience. A spotlight found its way to the curtain as May appeared, receiving a round of applause from the crowd, including you. "Hello, New York! My name is May Parker and I will be your host for this evening." More applause. "And first of all, I would like to introduce a very special guest that I'm sure we're all excited to see; Spider-Man!" Peter walked through the curtain with stiff limbs, the eyes of his suit wide as he awkwardly waved at the audience who continued to clap and cheer.