n i n e t e e n

too perfect

"So, Luke and Leia are siblings?"

"Yep, twins."

"But they kissed!"

Nine hours later, the plane landed in Italy and you were walking beside Peter toward security. He had persuaded you to watch Star Wars on the flight, which, of course, you didn't mind, there were just a few aspects you couldn't wrap your head around. "Yeah, well, they didn't know they were siblings when that happened."

"And Darth Vader is their father? What kind of family tree is this?"

"Hey, guys!" Ned's voice interrupted your train of thought as the pair of you approached him. He seemed oddly cheery after having to spend nine hours sitting next to Betty Brant. "Are your allergies doing okay?"

You frowned, unaware of how much your expression contrasted the cheesy grin Peter was trying to suppress. Wasn't that a lie? Surely Ned knows that. Why would Peter lie to his best friend? "Oh yeah, it's going great. I- I feel much better now." What on earth are these two hiding?

"Anyway, there was something I wanted to tell you." He placed his fists out, a face of excitement rising onto his cheeks. "You'll never guess what happened-"

"Hey, babe. Can you hold this for me, please?" You and Peter turned toward the familiar voice, shock spreading across the two of you when your eyes fell upon Betty Brant.

"Yeah, of course."

"Thanks." She handed him her bag, offering the boy a kiss on the cheek in exchange. Once the two pulled away, they gazed at each other lovingly, leaving you and Peter to share a confused glance. Ned tapped her nose lightly, sending the both of them into a chuckle as she walked away.

Peter watched her leave with the same puzzled expression plastered on his face, before returning his attention to his friend. "What was that?"

"Uh- well, we actually got to talking on the plane and it turns out, we have a lot in common, so we're boyfriend and girlfriend now."

"Whatever happened to being an American bachelor in Europe?"

"Peter, those were the words of a boy, and that boy met a woman - a very strong and powerful woman - and now, that boy's a man."

"Did she pay you to say that?" you joked but Ned pretended not to hear you.

"Babe?" You turned toward Betty, who was subtly glaring at you from a distance. The two of you didn't exactly get off on the right foot. She seemed like a snobby brat and the longer you spent with her, the more she reinforced those feelings. But she was friends with MJ - not close, but friends - so you were required to put those feelings aside and at least pretend to like her.

"Coming, babe." Ned shot a smug grin toward Peter before ultimately walking away.

"He deserves better," you mumbled, beginning to move closer to the queue through security.

"I mean, at least he's happy. And Betty isn't awful, right?"

"I mean..."

"Come on! It could be way worse; he could be dating Flash."

"Oh, don't even suggest that."

You made it through security and were on the home stretch to the doors when a police dog started sniffing at Peter's luggage. "Tell the others I'm gonna be a bit late," he said as he was taken to the side. You were about to follow him before one of the workers asked you to continue. You joined the others in the lobby, already a couple of minutes later than everyone else. "Oh, Y/N! Okay. Uh-" Mr. Harrington surveyed the students briefly before turning back to you. "Where's Peter?"