t w e n t y - t w o

edith

The next day, the group was preparing to leave for Paris while you and Peter prepared to continue your vacation. You were grateful that Fury had allowed you your holiday, however, Peter had confided in you about having an apprehensive feeling regarding Fury's change of heart, which in turn had you uneasy.

Everyone was standing outside the hotel, waiting for the last few people to arrive so that they could leave. You had overslept and MJ hadn't woken you up, leaving you to try to sort all of your things in a hazy rush. There shouldn't have been that many if you hadn't strewn nearly every item of clothing you owned across the floor. You sprinted out of the door, nearly bumping into Peter who was also running late.

"Oh, hey," he greeted, slightly out of breath.

"Fancy running into you here."

The two of you hurried down the stairs and out the door, luckily finding that no one had left yet. You approached Ned who was closest to you and was watching Betty as she walked away. "Hey, man, are you sure you're good?" Peter stepped forward, placing a hand on his friend's shoulder.

"Oh, dude, I'm fine! Okay, don't worry. Seriously, getting tranq'd in the neck by Nick Fury, probably the coolest thing to ever happen to me, anyway."

"It is pretty awesome." The two shared their signature handshake before Ned returned to his girlfriend and Peter returned next to you. MJ was also occupied by Brad, so you assumed it was Peter you'd be seated with on the trip.

"Oh, I'm excited for Paris," you said to him. "This is where our vacation begins. No more water monsters. No more Nick Fury. Just us, our friends, and the Eiffel Tower."

Peter nodded along with you, the smile that found its home on his face showing you he was just as excited as you. "I am so glad we don't have to go to Prague."

"Good news! We're going to Prague."

What?

"What?"

Mr. Harrington barged through the two of you toward the rest of the students, who were equally confused but not as disappointed. "Yeah. Tour company called, they upgraded us. You should've heard me on the phone with them. I really gave them hell."

Mr. Dell raised an eyebrow. "All I heard was crying."

Harrington ushered the group to follow him as he walked around the building toward a sleek black bus. "Oh no," you mumbled.

"Look at our upgraded ride!"

"I'm impressed, Mr. Harrington."

"Oh, come on," Peter muttered after spotting Dimitri standing outside the bus. "Did Nick Fury just hijack our summer vacation? I knew it was too good to be true."

You and Peter followed as the rest of the group piled onto the bus, taking a seat at the back. His head fell into his hands, the frustration radiating from his body. Once again, he was pissed. He had just got his hopes up that finally the two of you would be able to take a goddamn break, that he would be able to take you to the Eiffel Tower and do only the most romantic things until he knew you had fallen for him, that he would be able to confess how he felt. But Fury had ruined everything. He was stressed out, nearly dying at every turn. And what was even worse was the entire class was being brought into it as well. This trip should've given his shoulders a rest, but now it felt like an entire boulder was crushing him. He just wanted some time to relax.

"So much for Paris," you whispered, placing a hand on his far shoulder for some sort of comfort. "Oh well. There's not much we can do about it now."

"It sucks, though." He tilted his head in his hands so that he could face you. "I was kind of looking forward to the Eiffel Tower."