𝟏𝟔. 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐋𝐨𝐬𝐭

━━━Wildfire

Grace and Rick walk ahead of Shane, stepping out of the woods and back onto the farm property. Grace's eyes catch glimpse of the barn in the distance and she furrows her eyebrows.

"Shane, we just went in a circle. Are you sure Randall went this way?" Grace asks, starting to spin around. Shane comes up from behind Grace, wrapping an arm around her throat and pressing the cold gun against her temple.

Her heart skips a beat as she hears the gun cock back and her lips tremble. Rick spins around and panic floods his body.

"Shane, let her go!" Rick demands through gritted teeth, taking a step closer. Shane shoots him a firm glare and shakes his head.

"Lori, Carl, they'll get over you. They've done it before. They just gonna have to," Shane cocks his head to the side. The crickets chirp in the darkness and a chill runs down Grace's spine.

"Why? Why now? I thought we worked this out," Rick tries to reason with Shane.

"We tried to kill each other man. What you think? We just gonna forget about it all and ride out in the sunset together?" Shane chuckles out and Grace furrows her eyebrows.

Grace glances over at Rick and inhales sharply.

Something went down the other day between the two of them, when they tried to take Randall 18 miles out...

"You gonna kill me in cold blood? Screw my wife?! Have my children? My children call you daddy? Is that what you want? That life won't be worth a damn. I know you...you won't be able to live with this," Rick snaps at him, his glare piercing Shane's eyes.

"What do you think's gonna happen when you walk back without us? You can't just murder us in cold blood and live with it. It'll eat you up from the inside," Grace speaks through gritted teeth and Shane rolls his eyes with annoyance.

"What do you know about what I've got to live with? You got no idea what I can live with!" Shane raises his voice, tightening his grip around Grace's throat. Her eyes bulge out as her air supply is getting restricted.

"Let her go, damn it! Grace isn't part of this," Rick demands and Shane glances down at Grace.

"Shane, please," Grace pleads, wavering her shaking breath. He can feel her shaking body against his and he gulps. Shane loosens his grip around Grace and lifts the gun off of her temple.