𝟐𝟐. 𝐅𝐨𝐫 𝐇𝐞𝐫

━━━Wildfire

A quiet gasp leaves Grace's lips as the gunshot rings throughout the tiny room. Grace tightens her grip on the tiny infant, bringing it closer to her chest. Carl rushes up the stairs, pistol in his hand and his head lowered.

"Follow behind me carefully, okay?" Grace's voice wavers out and Carl slightly nods his head, not even daring to lift his head up.

Carl follows carefully behind Grace as she leads the way out through the maze of halls.

She pushes the heavy door open and it creeks loudly. The bright sun gleams down into her eyes and she squeezes them shut for a moment, getting blinded for a moment

. Grace slowly opens them again, meeting Beth, Maggie, Hershel, Glenn, Daryl, and Rick gaze in the courtyard.

The tears snap right back into Grace's eyes as she meets Rick's heartbroken expression. The infant cries out quietly and Rick stumbles over to her. The axe slips out right Rick's hand and clatters on the ground.

"Where- where is she?" Rick asks weakly, his voice barely above a whisper. Grace's body rattles and she shakes her head. Rick walks past Grace and she grabs onto his forearm.

"Rick, you can't!" Grace's voice breaks as she speaks. Rick easily slips out from her weak grip and  gazes down at Carl, a broken expression across his pale face.

"Oh, no. No!" Rick sobs out. The hot tears burn his cheeks as they stream down and Maggie rushes over to Grace. Rick stammers over his words and collapses on the ground, hoarse sobs leaving his lips.

Grace's stomach twists into uneasy knots and she inhales sharply. "P-please, take her," Grace stutters out and Maggie nods her head.

"It's okay. I got her," Maggie reassures Grace with a tiny smile on her face. Maggie carefully lifts up the baby from Grace's arms and takes her into her own. Grace's body loosens for a pure moment, but her throat starts to strain.

"Rick! Rick, you with me?" Daryl waves his hand in front of Rick's face. Rick pants heavily and keeps his eyes locked on the concrete in front of him. 

"Let me see the baby," Hershel demands, a hint of concern laced in his raspy voice. Maggie carries the baby over to her father and Hershel carefully takes the infant into his arms.