Part 13

.

.

.

The two just stood there, staring dumbfoundedly at the little girl and side-glancing at each other, not knowing what to do or say. It was like they had both forgotten they have had experience with younger children. 

U-uhh..." Nancy stammered, attempting to speak but not knowing what to say. Her appearance was very sudden and had shaken them both since the two were having a very private conversation not too long ago.

Nezuko just blinked up at them.

Jonathan cleared his throat quietly, Nancy taking that as a signal for him to attempt to speak to the strange girl as her attention landed on him. They both glanced at each other as Jonathan kneeled down so he was making eye contact with the child.

"Hi," Jonathan started, swallowing his saliva. She hummed calmly in response, to which Jonathan followed up with a question. "Can you speak through that thing?

She then hummed sadly, looking down at the ground. "Then how can we know your name?"

She perked up at that, reaching into the trackie pockets that were too big for her. Nezuko had picked this up off the table before she left, knowing that she would probably be asked the question by passerbyers, pulling her hands out of her pockets to reveal a piece of folded paper in her tiny hands. She happily handed it to Jonathan, and when she did so Nancy noticed her unnaturally long pink-tinted fingernails but didn't say anything as Jonathan unfolded the piece of paper. Nancy squinted her eyes as she read from behind Jonathan's shoulder.

"Ne..."Jonathan flinched when Nancy spoke, not realising she was behind him and thought the urge to look behind him. "...zu... ko. Nezuko..."Jonathan paused before interrupting Nancy. "Is that your name?"

Nezuko nodded. Nancy's eyes narrowed at a realisation.

"Wait," she said, earning Jonathan's full attention. "Can I see that?"

Jonathan stuttered out a yes and handed it to Nancy, and he flinched slightly as their hands brushed each other. They looked at each other briefly, before looking away with slight blushes on their faces. Nancy turned her attention to the paper in her hand, bringing it closer to her face to confirm and her eyes widened.

"That's Japanese," she breathed out. Jonathan whipped his head around to look at her incredulously.

"You know Japanese?" he asked, and Nancy turned to him.

"Of course," she rolled her eyes. "We have that subject every second Thursday Period 3," Her eyebrows knit together as she looked at the translation. "Whoever wrote the translation though has pretty bad handwriting."

Jonathan huffed impatiently & stood up only to begin pacing with his hands on his head. Nancy watched him stress pace.

"We don't have time for this," he complained. "We are wasting time with a girl who doesn't even speak the same language as us when we should be trying to find Will & Barbara!"

Nancy stilled when she heard her best friend's name come out of his mouth, & looked at the ground in shame. Usually, Jonathan was patient with younger children, especially shy ones, but since learning that his lost brother might still be alive he appeared to be very on edge. Unfortunately though, Nancy couldn't help but agree with him. What if this monster was hurting Barb? Or maybe he already killed her or Will? It frightened her to even think about Barbara's dead body, or the thought of a faceless creature taking her.

But, there was a child, standing in front of them ever so patiently, with a foreign name and oversized clothing. She didn't seem to have any parents close by, or anyone that recognized her which was a problem. Hawkins was a relatively small town, where everyone knew everybody.   

Nancy decided to ask the obvious question, & looked down to make eye contact with her. "Are you lost?"

Nezuko nodded repeatedly, happy that they were actually doing something. Maybe they would take her somewhere where somebody could help her, since they seemed to be pretty focused on finding these people. If they were focused on finding their loved ones, she should stay focused too!

Nancy kneeled in front of Nezuko like Jonathan had done before, and looked at her softly.

"Hey Nezuko," she smiled. "Do you think you can come with us for a bit?" Jonathan stopped pacing to eye Nancy suspiciously as she continued. "We are going to take you to someone that can help find your family."

Nezuko stilled when she heard the word family, flashes of that dreadful day going through her mind, but she understood Nancy's intent & nodded.

"Hold on," Jonathan said, stopping Nancy from thinking of anything else that they didn't agree on. "Where exactly are we going? She can't come with us if that's what thinking!"

"l know!" Nancy said, standing up to properly talk to the stressed-out teen. Nezuko took this moment to run to the door and retrieve the rest of her clothes. "But we can't just leave her here! We have to take her to someone that knows what to do with her!"

"So where are we going then?"

.

.

.

Merry Christmas everybody! I know it's Boxing Day now but oh well.

I hope you all had a good Christmas, whether you spent it with your loved ones or just by yourself. If you didn't get any Christmas presents for any reason, consider this a late Christmas present from me, a new chapter!

Now instead of a shower thought, I want you all to comment your most funniest Christmas present you got. The more embarrassing the better :)