Part 15

You know, sometimes I ask myself why school exists when the answer is so painfully obvious, but it's still like whyy...

~~~

When the odd pair walked out of the police station that same night, with Hopper absentmindedly whistling as he swung his keys around his fingers, Nezuko abruptly halted her steps upon staring bewildered at the object in front of her.

Nezuko with her short brain could only describe it as a metal box on wheels. At least what she assumed to be wheels.

It had 4 peculiar wheels at the base of the object, 2 on each longer in length side, suspending the stretched-out rectangular shape off the ground. The said rectangle had light and dark brown stripes running along the side of the object, as well as foreign words and glass panels looking inside the object, but Nezuko couldn't see what the inside looked like from the distance she stood. And in front of the object had one large glass panel running to each end, more untranslatable words and a grated metal... thing right at the bottom.

Hopper kept walking ahead, not noticing Nezuko's hesitance and walked around the other side of the car. He clicked the unlock button on his car key, and the car beeped loudly as the headlights blinked to life. This made Nezuko flinch, was it alive?

Hopper pulled the latch of his car door open while still whistling to his abridged version of 'Purple Rain' by Prince, and was about to sit down when out of the corner of his eye spotted Nezuko still standing a few feet away from the car with uncertainty.

He inwardly groaned, standing up and looking over at Nezuko with his head peeking over the roof, speaking with his right arm resting on top of the open door. "Hey, kid! What are you doing get in!"

Nezuko didn't react, and Hopper tried his best to hide his impatience. He was supposed to already be at the morgue by now, and he was stuck babysitting. "You want to go find your brother don't you? Then let's go already!"

Nezuko didn't know what she should do in this situation. Was it alive? It definitely wasn't human. Should she kill it? What would this man think? She remembered how she saw the man go willingly inside the object, and then come out unscathed. He also didn't seem afraid or weary of the object, more like it was normal for him.

Taking her chances and coming to the terms that the thing in front of her couldn't actually kill her, she walked forward, much to Hopper's delight. He was really growing impatient and was afraid he was going to take it out on her if she didn't move.

Nezuko first walked to the other side of the car to watch how Hopper opened the car door, but instead of going back to the other side of the car and copying the action, she waited until Hopper had fully sat down on his driver's chair, and right as he was about to close the door she crawled on top of his lap.

"Woah hey hey hey hey hey!" Hopper panicked as Nezuko tried to get comfy. "What do you think your doing get off!"

After a few minutes of struggle, Hopper finally managed to sit Nezuko down in the passenger seat beside him and buckled her in like an infant. He debated whether or not to place her in the back, but figured he would be able to better watch her sitting next to him. He only just met the girl and all he knew was that she was foreign and lost.

This struck a chord in Hopper. Any normal young child who was from a different country and lost their family would be freaking out and hysterically sobbing. He had in fact witnessed this happen a few times in town, with small innocent latching onto the only important figure at the moment, wailing with their tears and disgusting snot soaking his freshly washed uniform, begging him to find their parents. But as he glanced at the girl sitting beside him, he saw none of that.