Chapter 1: The past to the Present

"Scar, i think no matter what happens we can claim this as a double victory right?" What neither of them knew, and now only one does, is that this is not a rewarded victory. He'd taken Scar's first life, and now his last. Grian had 'won' this sadistic game but now he was alone. Overcome with loneliness, guilt and distress, the sole survivor, the 'victor' took two steps off the sand mountain he had called home all this time. "Only one life left" he had said, before ending it. That was just it though, wasn't it? This wasn't over.

Grian awoke in a new world and nobody else seemed to remember what had happened. There it was: the realization that this wasn't a game you wanted to win. Nevertheless, Grian sought to make the most of his time on this new land, his home built up in the south. But this couldn't last forever, and although Grian knew how the story goes, it wasn't any less painful when an arrow pierced through him at the edge of the platform. It was growing ever more clear to Grian, that he may not be victorious this time around, and he couldn't decide if that was good or bad.

Scott won. Grian almost laughed from above, at the man he had had so much conflict with in the latter parts of his life on this world, knowing the consequences of winning. Scott was left alone, without Pearl, he'd only done this for her. Unlike Grian, this new victor was not given the dignity of taking himself out of this insanity, for the shadows consumed him before he had the chance to.

Just as before, they awoke in a new world. Grian still remembered his first victory, but also his last life. Unsure of wether this was from his first victory or something strange about him, he looked around for the last victor. The expression of confusion on Scott's face told Grian all he needed to know, Scott had been given the same 'reward' as himself. Memory.

This time around, the cruel trick played on them around was, love? Grian was bounded to Scar, who knew nothing of their past together. Grian couldn't fathom why it seemed as though he, specifically, was constantly getting punished for something, when he didn't know what he'd done. As far as he was concerned, he'd played the stupid game, he'd won and lost and now he was here. Stuck with the man he once killed, served and then killed again.

Meanwhile, Scott came to the realization that nobody remembered anything, he of course didn't remember his time spent with jimmy in the first world and he also had no idea the Grian also remembered his last life. Scott decided to put his last life aside, he was here now and clearly this was not a situation with free will, so as everyone else around him, Scott searched for his soulmate. He searched for the whole day. At some point he ran into Cleo, who he recalled he had been friendly with in the past. They weren't bounded by life, so they continued to search together, until eventually coming to the conclusion that their soulmates could only be Pearl and Martyn, who was bounded to who could only be known once they met of course.

Near the end of the day Scott and Cleo came across a notice for a game show of sorts, 'Lost and Bound.' Deciding to humor the two that they believed had not cared to look for them, the two went off to this 'game show.' As expected, Martyn and Pearl stood before them, completely oblivious to the sour looks on Scott and Cleo's faces. It didn't take long for the soulmates to reveal themselves, Martyn to Cleo, and Scott to- Pearl... Scott's heart ached as he remembered the time he spent with Pearl, but she hadn't cared to look and he was with Cleo now. Besides, Pearl didn't remember what her and Scott had been through, at least Scott thought she didn't. "Are we not gonna gaslight, gatekeep and girlboss?" Scott shivered, how did she remember this, was it not just him, if he didn't remember because he was victorious, then why did he remember? Simultaneously, Cleo stood there, looking at an apparently heartbroken Pearl, not quite sure of what was going on.

Martyn had been very quiet until Scott and Cleo walked off hand in hand, as he shouted "I hate you" and the two chosen lovers shouting back the same sentiment. He then looked at Pearl knowingly, as if her words had set something off in him as well. His eyes twitched as he turned away from her, leaving her well and truly, alone.