six . . . the spy

CARDIGAN | SEASON II ; ACT I
. ‧₊˚⋅🍂  chapter 6 ━━━━━━ the spy
꒦꒷🎞️꒷꒦

LIVING IN A SMALL TOWN, YOU'D THINK IT WOUKD BE PEACEFUL AND QUIET. Like they show on television. But never would anyone expect for any of this to be hidden under the surface of the image of a sweet place to raise your family.

"Hold on, sweetie!" Ara could hear Joyce say to Will as he was being led down the halls of the lab in a stretcher.

Bob followed along with Mike and Ara. They were led to a room and one of the workers started talking.

"Vitals?" She asked and she got a response within seconds. "Heart rate 220. Temperature's 106."

"Will, where does it hurt?"

"All over!" He yelled, in anguish.

"She says he feels like he's burning. Check for burns." Another doctor said.

The lady cut Wills shirt off and they checked for burns. Nothing.

"I don't see anything." She spoke frantically.

"Where does it hurt the most, Will?"

"Everywhere! Everywhere!" He shouted.

🎧⋆。˚💿.𖥔 ݁ ˖

late evening had turned into night and had them turned into around midnight. Mike and Ara were still up though, watching their friend who was sound asleep but their of the two knew if he was safe.

Ara rustled in her jeans pockets to find something.

"Want some?" She asked, taking out a pack of skittles.

"Sure." Mike said with a quiet chuckle. "Do you always keep candy in your pockets?"

"No. This is just a one off thing." She laughed.

She poured some into both of their hand. Making sure she didn't have any of the green ones. Mike looked at her, confused.

"I hate the green ones." She shrugged casually.

"I'll keep that in mind." Mike said with a small smile as they ate the candies in a comfortable silence. Ara looked back over at the boy watching as he used the arm rest of the chair he sat on as a drum.

"He'll be okay." Ara spoke in a hushed voice. Mike turned to look at the brunette. Her face had its normal, genuine look. "How — how do you know?" He stammered.

"Will's lucky to have a best friend like you." Ara pressed her lips into a small smile. Mike noticed how her eyes almost looked like they were glittering as they reflected the moonlight that the celestial body sent their way.

They both looked away from each other.

"Do you miss it?" Mike asked.

"Miss what?"

"California."

Ara gave it a second of thought. "No." She came to that conclusion with a wistful look on her face as she looked down at her shoes. "I do miss my dad. And my friends. But never California."