chapter fifteen

━━ CHAPTER FIFTEEN / negotiations

When Poe returned, Eliana didn't say anything about the datalogs. She didn't even know where to start and she didn't want him to know that he was right. But she couldn't be sure if he was right. For all she knew those communications - at least the early ones - weren't here at all. It was a different comm number so it could be a misunderstanding.

Surely Relya had not invested in the First Order while they were together. It would have just been selfish. Eliana would have noticed or see or suspected something if she had. Almost all of Relya's communications were sent through Eliana. She was her intern but she hadn't noticed. She hadn't seen and she felt so incredibly stupid.

Poe had filled her in on some bits of information he had acquired while he was out but he had noticed how quiet she had become. So, he managed to convince her to get out of the hotel. He had learnt about a back entrance that nobody used so they could sneak out without her having to pretend that her ankle hurt. And it was only that reassurance that made her leave.

They snuck out the back entrance and Eliana blindly followed him. She wasn't sure where he was taking her but she didn't have the heart to care. The day was coming to a close and she wanted to go to sleep. She wanted to just forget the day had happened at all. Her head was spinning with all the information she had found out and she almost felt sick from it all.

And then Poe began to lead her up to the top of one of the taller buildings on Coruscant. She wasn't even sure how he had found the back entrance but they were soon sneaking into the lift to the top floor and using the maintenance door to sit on the roof.

He led her towards the edge and the two of them sat down. He was quiet for a few minutes as he tried his best to get comfortable. She was wearing his jacket again and he couldn't help but admire her. It had always looked so much better on her than it ever did on him.

"You said you wanted to see the sunset before we went back to D'Qar," Poe mumbled after a few minutes. She turned to look at him and her lips tugged up into a smile. Everything else up until that moment had been a blur of sadness and annoyance but this. Him in this moment was perfect. The evening sun shining in his eyes and the grin broke out across her face without her even really wanting it to.

"I saw Relya on my way out this morning. Did she come to see you?" He asked softly. Eliana nodded but she didn't really feel like talking about Relya. She didn't really want to talk about anything at all. She just wanted to sit here with him.

"I think you were right about her," Eliana mumbled. It just came out. She didn't want to tell him what had happened but he almost deserved the bragging rights. Relya was the enemy. The traitor. Almost definitely. Eliana wanted to kid herself and try and pretend that she wasn't but it would be a hell of a coincidence.

"I'm sorry." There was a genuinity to his tone that she hadn't expected. She looked up into his eyes and he had an odd look on his face. She couldn't decipher it so instead, shuffled closer to him. She rested her head on his shoulder and he shuffled around, wrapping an arm around her waist. They sat there, pressed against each other in comfortable silence as the sun set.