chapter sixteen

━━ CHAPTER SIXTEEN / back to d'qar

The meeting with the General had been successful. Poe had gained access to information he knew he wouldn't have otherwise. And as he suspected, Eliana was useful to have there. She was so much more diplomatic, she knew how the Senate worked and she understood bureaucracy better than Poe ever could. He had always hated it when he was part of the Republic's fleet. It was all bullshit but Eliana had navigated it well.

It was a success and Poe was pleased. He tried not to show it but as they got into the holo-taxi to go back to the hotel, the corners of his lips tugged up into a smile. She gently nudged his leg and his gaze flicked to her. His stubble had grown back into a scruff now and she couldn't help but admire it, admire him. He seemed so pleased with himself but not arrogant.

"Does that settle everything?" She asked curiously. He nodded his head and she smiled. She knew that once she stepped out of the taxi, she would have to be limping again. She had purposefully chosen an outfit that would keep her ankle hidden. If she was supposed to have a torn ligament she had to at least act the part.

"When do you want to return to D'Qar?" The silence filled the taxi before she shattered it. Poe's head lifted and he shrugged. He wasn't sure when she wanted to go back. He knew that they were packed and could leave tonight but he didn't want to impose, "Did you get enough sleep to fly tonight?" She asked. He nodded and she smiled.

"We can fly back tonight. It'll be a few hours in hyperspace," He responded. She nodded and then the taxi came to a stop outside the hotel. Poe got out first. He dropped onto the street and then held his hand out for Eliana to take. She stepped out of the hover-taxi and stood in the chilly night air as Poe paid the credits due.

Then they headed back into the hotel but Eliana was limping. Well, she was pretending to limp and she hated it. The anxiety was likely written on her face. It felt fake, she felt like it looked fake and Poe knew. They had spoke about it before they left and so, once they were through the hotel doors, Poe stopped abruptly.

He then scooped Eliana up into his arms with absolutely no warning. She squealed and her arms wrapped tightly around his neck, clinging to him. One of his arms was under her back and the other under her knees.

"Bo, put me down," She said softly. He grinned and pressed a kiss to her cheek. He then began to walk towards the lift.

"No," He said simply. She scoffed but didn't try to drop from his arms. She knew that he would only make it harder for her and she was really just glad to have her feet off the ground. It meant she didn't have to pretend.

"You're a nightmare," She mumbled as she let her head rest against his shoulder. Her face nuzzled into his neck. He hummed softly in response and awkwardly pressed the button for the elevator. She stared at him, baffled. He could have easily dropped her and made it easier on both of them but he seemed intent.