chapter twenty-one

━━ CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE / the birthday gala

The ship was packed for the trip but they weren't due to set out for another half an hour or so. Eliana was dreading it. The pit in the bottom of her stomach hadn't let up all day. She knew that being alone with Poe would be fine but the awkwardness had permeated through their interactions ever since Maymie had walked in on them snogging.

She wasn't sure whether Poe was anxious about her feelings or he regretted saying it all but Eliana was scared to be alone with him. The worst that could happen is that she was rejected by him but she wasn't sure if she could even take that. After his confession, it was all that had been running through her head for hours.

And maybe it was his words that meant she purposefully wore his jacket as she now sat in the hull of the ship with Maymie sat across from her. The black-haired girl was resting against the wall. Her legs sprawled out in front of her while Eliana slumped back against the seat. She looked exhausted and she felt it.

The pair had spoken about the kiss and the confession and Maymie could feel Eliana's anxiety which is why she had decided to spend her break with the brunette rather than abandoning her to the metaphorical wolves.

"I can feel your thoughts. What's bothering you?" Maymie asked after a long moment of silence between them. Eliana turned her head towards the other woman.

"I'm going to be alone with him. I don't know how to do that anymore. Before, it was easy because I just pretended I didn't want him to be around and convinced myself that he didn't want me around. Now, I know he wants me and I know I want him but I don't know what to say," Eliana rambled as she pushed her fingers through her hair. The concern and worry was written across her features and Maymie would have found it amusing in any other circumstance.

"Tell him how you feel, properly?" Maymie suggested. Eliana rested her chin in her palm and thought for a long moment. It was the logical thing to do, she knew that but she didn't want to make the night any worse. She would have to flirt with Relya and it had to be at least believable. If her mind was on Poe the whole time because she admitted that she was in love with him, it would never be believable with Relya. And her entire mission hinged on convincing Relya that she still wanted her.

"You were in love with Poe when you saw her on Coruscant and she believed it," Maymie said before Eliana could voice her thoughts. It was all an excuse. At least that's how Maymie saw it. Eliana was scared of being vulnerable which was understandable but frustrating.

"She saw right through us, actually," Eliana mumbled. Maymie cocked an eyebrow, "Well, she saw right through me." Maymie tilted her head and gave her a questioning look, "We had a conversation about Poe. She just knew it was more." Maymie sighed and slid down a little against the wall.

"All the more of a reason to tell Poe now and save the fuss," Maymie argued. Eliana hummed, letting her eyes drift back to the entrance to the ship. The ramp was down and she could see Poe talking animatedly with one of the techs. He looked gorgeous and every part of her wanted to confess but it was so hard.