chapter twenty-two

━━ CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO / snitch

Once they had gotten back to the hotel, Eliana had calmed down significantly. The paranoia wasn't clinging to the edges of her mind anymore and she was calm. At least, a little bit calmer but Poe could tell that something was wrong. It was obvious and she seemed almost hurt by what they had discovered despite the fact that they all expected something like that. She was a First Order investor, watching Eliana wasn't exactly out of the question.
Relya wasn't what any of them had expected and it was hitting Eliana all over again now that they had seen what was on her files. It was gut-wrenching and Poe wished he could do something but it was almost impossible. He just had to be there and watch. It wasn't often that Poe Dameron felt helpless but in that moment did.

So, he asked the stupid question, "Are you okay?" His tone was soft, gentle almost and it snapped Eliana out of her spiral of thoughts. She had to remember where she was and what she had come here for. What she found changed nothing because Relya was still a bad person. It was just another layer of bad. And she had to move on.

"I think a part of me didn't want her to be as bad as she is," Eliana mumbled softly, "I didn't want to believe it. I expected something else." It was a little rambly but it was all she was thinking about. Relya was a traitor. She had lied to her, listened to her, followed her like that was her privilege. But it wasn't. It wasn't her right. It never had been.

"Sometimes people aren't what we expect," Poe responded after two beats. There was a look on his face that Eliana couldn't quite pick up. She crossed from where they were stood by the hotel room door to the bed and sat on the edge of it. She began to pull her hair out of the up-do, dropping the pins beside her as she went.

She didn't feel a need to respond because they both knew that Poe was right. That's what being in the Resistance had taught them. Nobody was ever what they seemed and even the best people had a dark underbelly. Or they weren't as bad as people made them out to be.

"Eliana," Poe said softly as he walked over to her. His jacket was folded over his arm and he carefully sat down on the bed beside her.

"Mhm?" She asked, turning her head slightly to look at his face. She tried to push some semblance of a smile onto her lips but it was hard. She didn't feel like smiling anymore. And part of her wandered if Relya was listening now.

"Do you want to be here?" He asked curiously. Eliana shook her head, using it to both indicate that she didn't want to be here but also to shake her hair out. The loose curls that she had been wearing before putting her hair up dropped over her shoulders and she took a deep breath. It shouldn't have bothered her as much as it did but even the thought of still being on Naboo right now made her want to scream.

"Not particularly," She said as she looked up and fully met his gaze. Their brown eyes clashing. He could see the hurt in hers and she could see the care in his.

"Do you want to go back to D'Qar tonight?" He asked. Eliana got up from the bed, the pins in her left hand. She dropped them into her make-up bag and zipped it up.